Discussion Board

How to use ExploremapsSearchPlacesTask?

Hi everyone. I am trying to use ExploremapsSearchPlacesTask task of HERE Launchers API, but actually couldn't figure out what to do. Here is my code from HERE Launcher API page:
    Code:
    ExploremapsSearchPlacesTask searchMap = new ExploremapsSearchPlacesTask();
    searchMap.Location = new GeoCoordinate(60.35, 24.60);
    searchMap.SearchTerm = "Hotel";
    searchMap.Show();
    Every time I run my app on emulator, I get a message like "You need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the Store?". I guess this message has something to do with search.Show(). Should I add a control to my project, or modify my code? Thank you...

Super Contributor

Re: How to use ExploremapsSearchPlacesTask?

That's the expected result. The simulator doesn't have HERE maps installed so it cannot be launched, that's why you're seeing a prompt asking you to download the app (which is not possible in the simulator!)

If you test your app on a Lumia device, HERE maps will be installed and the launcher will work as expected.

So that means users have to install HERE Maps on their phones to be able to use my app? Then what is the purpose of this api?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hvarlik View Post
    So that means users have to install HERE Maps on their phones to be able to use my app? Then what is the purpose of this api?
    Yes, the purpose is to make use of HERE maps app and not the built-in Maps app, which is the primary option...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/wi...v=vs.105).aspx

Nokia Developer Moderator

To be precise, the API is using Url-Scheme which is mainly implemented by the HERE apps, it actually does not know or care which application ends up handling the requests. It merely fires the request, and then platform handles the request as specified.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    To be precise, the API is using Url-Scheme which is mainly implemented by the HERE apps, it actually does not know or care which application ends up handling the requests. It merely fires the request, and then platform handles the request as specified.
    So the built-in Maps and HERE maps app are registered for the same URI-Scheme ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Not likely, the URI-Scheme implemented by HERE apps is included in the docs: http://developer.nokia.com/resources...lications.html

And if the URI-Scheme is implemented by multiple apps, you would see a pop-up dialog asking which one to use, as soon as any ap would try firing the request using the URI-Scheme.