Discussion Board

Installing .appx file to a phone with RDA

Hi. I want to run a windows phone runtime app from its .appx file on a phone, but this page says "You install your software from its XAP file using the install software option ", which means I cannot upload .appx file. Since my app is a runtime app, I don't have any .xap file. Is there anything I can do to install my app on a phone from RDA? Thank you...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Installing .appx file to a phone with RDA

In order to install appx to your device you must use the Windows Phone 8.1 sdk and you need to have Windows Phone 8.1 installed on your phone.

Can you let us know what versions are you using and what version of the SDK you have installed on your machine?

I think we can combine the two posts for solving the issue: .appx is for WP 8.1 devices, while RDA seems to have WP 8 devices (at least I see GDR1-2-3 listed only). The additional bad news is that RDA will be over in less than 3 weeks, so any kind of update is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    In order to install appx to your device you must use the Windows Phone 8.1 sdk and you need to have Windows Phone 8.1 installed on your phone.

Can you let us know what versions are you using and what version of the SDK you have installed on your machine?
    It is not my phone. It is an emulator I picked up from RDA. Also, Windows Phone 8.1 SDK is installed on my machine.

EDIT: I've now got what you mean. I used Lumia 1520, and win phone 8.0 is installed on it, which means there is no way of installing an .appx file. Thanks you all for helping me.
    Last edited by hvarlik; 2014-08-05 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I think we can combine the two posts for solving the issue: .appx is for WP 8.1 devices, while RDA seems to have WP 8 devices (at least I see GDR1-2-3 listed only). The additional bad news is that RDA will be over in less than 3 weeks, so any kind of update is unlikely.
    I have just checked the windows phone version of a phone, and as you said it is 8.0. Besides, it is really bad news that we won't be able to use RDA after 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by hvarlik View Post
    It is an emulator I picked up from RDA. .
    Just as an information: The 'emulator' that you are referring to are actually real devices, just that they are placed 'remotely' and appear as just the screen for you (for obvious reasons). So what may seem like an emulator, are really devices placed remotely and hence the name Remote Device Access (RDA)

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Just as an information: The 'emulator' that you are referring to are actually real devices, just that they are placed 'remotely' and appear as just the screen for you (for obvious reasons). So what may seem like an emulator, are really devices placed remotely and hence the name Remote Device Access (RDA)
    Thanks for the information. By referring those devices as emulator, I meant to say I wasn't talking about a phone that I have.

What I learned from this thread is, appx files cannot be installed on devices with windows phone 8.0, hence on the devices from RDA. Since the services will be unavailable soon, we cannot expect any update. Thank you all for helping me.
    Last edited by hvarlik; 2014-08-05 at 21:45.

Quote Originally Posted by hvarlik View Post
    What I learned from this thread is, appx files cannot be installed on devices with windows phone 8.0, hence on the devices from RDA. Since the services will be unavailable soon, we cannot expect any update. Thank you all for helping me.
    Check Visual Studio 2013 for updates. There are new emulators released. Personally I prefer to use a device. With the new direction Microsoft took with the releases, giving devs early access to dev preview bytes, having that installed on your device may also be something to consider.