Discussion Board

Receiving SMS from mobile to PC with USB CABLE

I am searching on this topic from month and still didn't get the solution I want to write a program in any language (JAVA, C, C++ etc) to receive an sms on my pc from my mobile which is connected to the pc using USB CABLE. Please guide me step by step. I tried to use SOCKET programming but I couldn't do it.

Super Contributor

Re: Receiving SMS from mobile to PC with USB CABLE

If the phone supports AT commands for receiving SMS, you can connect to it via "virtual" serial port, send AT commands and read and parse the response. Nokia has published some old(10 years or so) AT command references for GSM and CDMA phones by Nokia.

I think Windows Phone based phones might have some support for AT commands (check on http://msdn.microsoft.com). At leas there used to be a Microsoft utility for sending SMS via AT commands many years ago.

For older Nokia phones, the APIs (required installing Nokia PC Suite or at least the Nokia PC Suite Connectivity bits, which used to be availabl separate), and then the PC Suite APIs. Not much support for those.

So, start by researching AT commands and issuing AT commands from PC applications. Then it depends on which phone you use if there are suitable AT commands which the phone supports (often there might be commands to send SMS, but might not be support for receiving them, but things vary).

If you also tell us which phones you intended or try to use, it might help in narrowing down the options for you.

Thank You Petrib for answering :-)

Is there any way I can do this using sockets?
    Because I want to do it for any kind of phone I actually want to access the inbox of the phone and I don't want to write a server-client app the program should only be on the computer side.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Asmaa View Post
    Is there any way I can do this using sockets?
    Because I want to do it for any kind of phone I actually want to access the inbox of the phone and I don't want to write a server-client app the program should only be on the computer side.
    Sockets unlikely help here. So far Petrib (and me too) interpreted your question as you wanted to use a given/chosen phone as a GSM modem for receiving messages. That is sometimes possible, even without developing anything on the phone side, there are AT commands for configuring the phone to store SMS-s on the SIM card, and there are AT commands to read messages from the SIM card.
    However once the messages are received by the phone, and stored internally, no AT commands can reach them. Then come the various SDK-s and API-s, which may enable reaching the Inbox. These are proprietary libraries, usually Windows-only, and have nothing to do with socket-level access. The PC Connectivity SDK and the PC Suite API were such tools, but their availability is highly questionable. They are not listed on http://developer.nokia.com/resources/downloads any more, and an old download link I found in http://developer.nokia.com/community...aries-to-Dev-C (post #3) seems to be defunct, the site had multiple reorganizations in the past years.

Okay, SO I think the only possibly left here is to use AT commands.
    So, it means that I can read an sms that was received on the phone while the phone was connected to the laptop and connected to the hyperterminal?
    If this is possible can you give some helpful links to how to start a connection on hyperterminal when our phone is connected using USB CABLE or BLUETOOTH.
    And then how can we configure the phone to receive sms on the sim card?

Thank You

hey, I just followed the things you told. I installed hyperterminal and I used my samsung galaxy s4 and connected it with my laptop with usb cable, I installed the drivers and connected to s4 as modem. It shows connected on hyperterminal. But whenever I send any command for example.

AT
    and press enter. I don't get any response I tried everything I configured the connection according to the modem configurations and when I go to.

Control Panel > Phone and Modems > Query

I get success answer for all the commands.
    Then why ain't I getting any response on hyperterminal?
    I checked the user guide of samsung s4 and it supports AT commands. And it have a GSM Modem as well.
    Last edited by Asmaa; 2014-08-15 at 14:31.

Super Contributor

Are you connecting with HyperTerminal to the correct port?

Yes, I checked the port in phone and modems it was COM3, And that is the same I am using for the connection. I tried to change the port but the hyperterminal gave an error.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Honestly said, Nokia (and now Microsoft) does not manufacture too many Samsung Galaxy devices. You may want to have a look at the XDA forums.

Okay, Thank you!