Discussion Board

Is it possible to recover videos from formatted Nokia phone?

I have a Nokia phone and got it as a graduation present. All my precious photos and videos of the past year are stored on this phone memory card. However, yesterday, this phone was formatted by my girl friend for some mistaken operations. All the inside videos and images just cannot be seen on my computer. Is it still possible for me to access these videos and images? Some of these videos are really crucial for me. Please, help me!

Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to recover videos from formatted Nokia phone?

I'm afraid that there might be no easy or cheap solutions.

If they were stored on a memory card, and you haven't used it since, some memory card recovery software for PCs might be able to do something. There are fee or commercial utility applications (not that some such on the Internet may contain malware/viruses, so don't download just anything you come across). I'm afraid I have no good such apps to recommend.

If they were store in phone storage memory (instead of a separate memory card), then there are no accessible tools that would let you do so. The PC applications cannot get to the phone memory to do anything.

And the more time goes by, the greater the likelihood is that the storage locations where the original files were stored, will be overwritten with something else. So, you should power off the phone and not use it at all (or at least not the memory card which you should take out from the phone).

There are commercial (read: expensive) data recovery service providers (companies) that may be able to do something: E.g., Kroll Ontrack (IBAS): http://www.krollontrack.com/

It is really lucky that you’ve saved all your precious videos and photos on the phone memory card, not phone internal memory. After the formatting process, your wanted card stuffs are not wiped as we often think, they are still stored on the card somehow. Therefore, as long as they are not overwritten by anything new, you really can take them back with right card data recovery software.

Just open your Google chrome and search for one over the internet. There are always many similar programs that can help scan your card deeply and find your needed stuffs back as many as possible.

Of course, if you think the manual data recovery process is not proper for you, you also can find some data recovery agencies for help. But, you should know that it may also cost a lot.
    Note: Never format any card or drive without data backups again.
    Last edited by Symbian_Neil; 2014-08-19 at 09:58.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Neil, that edit

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Neil, that edit
    aah..missed adding the edit note...contained some product name which I thought was best taken off Rest of the post is exactly as posted by the original poster.