Discussion Board

Getting the Nokia Asha keyboard (LWUIT)

Hi. I was wondering if there is some method of getting a reference to the Keyboard that pops up on Nokia Asha 503 full touch devices when you tap a TextArea.

I need to be able to make changes to it directly, add some buttons & possibly style it as well.

I've tried all VirtualKeyboard methods of LWUIT, as well as TextEditorProvider from TextArea but these don't work at all. It makes me think that Asha doesn't support what i'm looking for.

Please help!

Fenix

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Getting the Nokia Asha keyboard (LWUIT)

According to the theory, LWUIT is open source, so you can try digging into https://github.com/nokia-developer/l...lKeyboard.java - however in practice that piece of code is 4 years old. Maybe it really has not changed, I could not tell.

Re: Getting the Nokia Asha keyboard (LWUIT)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    According to the theory, LWUIT is open source, so you can try digging into https://github.com/nokia-developer/l...lKeyboard.java - however in practice that piece of code is 4 years old. Maybe it really has not changed, I could not tell.
    Yes. "In theory" it should be a pretty easy thing to do. And I can verify LWUIT has not changed in those four years at all.

I found the problem today though, which is that by default ASHA SDK has an option that forces use of their text editor over any LWUIT one until you disable that option. VERY annoying and wasted me a whole day! haha.

For anyone else having this keyboard issue, try "TextArea.setTextEditorEnabled(false)"
    then try binding your VirtualKeyboard. You should have no problems.

Fenix