Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Sockets on 6310i

HI
    There is a long discussion going on wether u can use sockets on MIDP 1.0,

can anyone tell me wether I can use sockets on my 6310i application.

if not any good way of getting around it as the MIDlet has to react to a change on the server.

it fails but people have been posting messages that there is an optional package in MIDP1.0...

I have'nt seen it ......

Please comment.

6310i does not support socket communication. Neither does it have the messaging api (present in devices such as the 3410). Your only route is to use a rather naff polling mechanism. Or try to hold open 2 HTTP connections - one post and one get (using chunking you can effectively send packets of data).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but holding 2 connections open won't work on all the phones- I did some tests on a 7650 and it seemed to be unable to open 2 connections simultaneously. A 6310i did however, so if you're not programming for portability, this should do the trick.

Best regards

2 connections = double fees for the customer

gicio

2 connections does *not* double the cost, in fact depending on your application it can reduce the cost.

On GPRS the customer is billed for bytes transmitted & received, irrespective of whether that is over 2 or 1 connection. Very few J2ME devices support 2 concurrent connections.