Discussion Board

SP midi in 6100 and 3510

I have been programming midi for many years and I am currently authoring SP content professionally.
    Recently I have come up against extreme difficulty in getting files to open in the above named handsets (Nokia's 4 note range).
    I have read many, if not all of the published documents on SP midi that are available through the forum. I have tested exhaustively on the 6100 and although I can get files to work eventually - I cannot define exactly where the boundries lay between a file working and not.
    It was my understanding, especially after digesting the notes from seminars by Mr.Dolby and the like that a 'one size fits all' approach to authoring files was possible using SP midi - This, in my opinion is clearly not possible without seriously compromising the quality of ringtones.
    It appears to me that the problems with these phones are not file size related - I've had some success when reducing the amount of program change messages that I've used, but due to other tests that I've done - I know that there's more to the issue than this.
    Please can anyone tell me where I can find advanced technical data on the 6100 and/or the 3510's synth capabilities - particularly regarding limitations.

Thank You.

Super Contributor
    Hi,

You can find more detailed info about MIDI in Nokia phones from here.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Hi enstedt,

Thanks for your reply - I guess the fact that the program table utilised in the phones is using aliases accounts for some of my inconsistent calculations, but do you know the exact upper limit of sounds that can be stored for playback on the 6100 and 3510?

Regards,

Bob Townley.

Did you ever find an answer to your question Bob?

I noticed with my experiements using the SP MIDI tools in Cubase SX that I had a misunderstanding about SP-MIDI. I figured I would be able to create a track and then just make it a one sizer fits all type of affair. But for 4-poly phones I still need to adjust things and tweak polyphony.

1. Stripping away rhythm section parts is one big area where polyphony gets eaten up I find. Stripping it back to one voice there is essential.
    2. Also any MIDI FX you might be employing like MIDI-fied delay need to be made monophonic.

Reworking the track I find is essential to get it all to work nicely. So far I've made two different versions of each MIDI file for 4 poly and 16/24 poly devices respectively. I use SP-MIDI for both but optimize the 4-poly one.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply. - I had little joy in tracking down definative spec on the Nokias, although I have been implementing your suggestions - with a lot more success. - Cheers.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

There are some issues with the memory allocated to samples in the audio engine for these phones. Each instrument sample takes up a different (mystery!) ammount of memory, once your chosen combination of patches exceed the (unspecified) handset limit, frustrating playback/crash problems can arise. The way to resolve this particular issue is to change your choice of patches - Strings to violin say. Also, avoid long filenames.

Good Luck,
    Paul

Thanks Paul,

Bob.

Hi Bob - I need your help please

Hi

After reading up on a lot of information about Making Polyphonic Ringtones for phones, I need to clarify a few things :-

Is the SP midi Format used for Polyphonic compatible phones ? If so some websites say that for Nokia SP is used but some say SMAF is used. What is the difference ?

What is the best software all in one to be used to convert midis to Polyphonic formats ?

How to I change a midi from 4 polyphonic to 16 and 32 and 40 poly ?

Where can i get information on the polyphony levels of different handsets ?

Please help. I'd be extremely grateful. I have a person who can play the tune on a keyboard and give me the Genral Midi file.

Now i need to master the Conversion of that midi file for different handsets. I am also confused between so many terms like MIP value Polyphony Level etc. I have read alot but cant seem to understand how to basiclly go about converting these in the right way and what's the best software and how to use it. SOme softwraes just convert the Midi file Straight away to an SP midi. Is that ok ? Do i need to edit that too ?

-------------------

Problem- Nokia Multemedia Converter Software
    I have a serious problem with th eNokia Multemedia Converter softwrae.

After Intalling it and launching it, i Click File open and no Window pops up asking for the file I intened to convert.

Then on dragging the file into the sofwtare, the file loads but on clicking convert, the status shows COnverting and goes on for over 5 minutes.

But I still dont know where it has saved the converted file. Is there a bug in this and if so where can I download an error free version of this file ?

Also how to I transfer the True tone to a handset and whihc are the handsets which are compatible o receive these true tones and sounds. Also wdo i need to make changes to the audio bit rate for different wav or mp3 file and for different handsets. I am confused.

Please help.

Cyrus !

Please help me. Thanks a million.

Cyrus !