Discussion Board

6600 -- do we get UDP, TCP, PersonalJava, JNI?

Does anyone know whether the MIDP 2 implementation on the 6600 includes UDP and TCP sockets? They're rather unhelpfully marked as "should provide" in the MIDP2 spec, and I'm hoping I won't have to buy a 6600 to find out if they're supported.

Any Nokia insiders or 6600 developers out there who can let the rest of us in on this apparently closely-guarded secret?

For that matter, does the 6600 provide PersonalJava and JNI? It's Symbian 7.0s based, and Symbian says that 7.0s has PersonalJava (and therefore JNI), but Nokia never mentions it.
    --Grant

Regular Contributor
    I don't think you can buy it, as it is not commercially available yet.

Well, of course. If it were available then I could test it and find out.

Since I posted this, though, I've received reasonably good information that UDP and TCP will be supported on the 6600 (as well as on the upcoming Motorola MIDP-2 phone). So it looks like the first-to-market MIDP-2 phones will be setting a very positive trend in this regard. With any luck the others will follow.

Now if only we could get CDC or JNI we'd really be cookin'! But that's just a dream.
    --G

Hi ggould,

I found in Nokia j2me tookit V 2.0, which can be downloaded from http://www.forum.nokia.com/nds_for_j2me.html , the file named nds_jme_v2_0.zip , under the directory
    "Series_60_MIDP_Concept_SDK_Beta_0_3_Nokia_edition" , the MIDP profile which support TCP socket and also UDP as your ininital question mentioned.

In addition, Nokia 6600 is being sold at ebay:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ery=Nokia+6600

Beside this, Siemens S55, M55 ... also support TCP socket and UDP. You can try with SMTK tool kit downloaded from ( register required ) :
    https://communication-market.siemens...=0&tid=2&xid=0
    However, SMTK API document seems not to be fully listed.

Please also visit again the "Mobile IP" topic, I replied your answer with a small question. Thanks.

Brgds/Linh.

Be careful about eBay -- my company tried to buy one of those 6600s and nearly got cheated. The sellers are mostly selling phones that they don't have, in the hopes that they can get deliveries before they have to ship, or else just walk off with your money.
    --G

Hi there,

6600 is out there already...
    is finally UDP and TCP support implemented on it?

srg

About JNI and Personal Java in Nokia 6600:

Nokia 6600 doesn't support Personal Java and neither JNI. Only UIQ Phones and Series 90.

The support of Personal Java and JNI is not related with the Symbian OS. It is related with the Series or UIQ. So, there is only support of PersonalJava and JNI for UIQ and Series 90 phones.

Relating with UDP and TCP in Nokia 6600 I don't know but I would like to know it:

Is UDP and TCP support implemented on Nokia 6600?

Regards

Hector

Although this answer comes quite late,
    let me tell you that the 6600 does support TCP and UDP.

Cheers,
    h.arald