Discussion Board

Thread: XHTML Caching

XHTML Caching

Are pictures cached to the phone memory when a site is browsed using a XHTML browser. Can a phone user retrieve these images later from the cache like from Internet explorer temporary folder.
    Last edited by nitinchandola; 2003-07-14 at 14:13.

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

images are cached also so they can be viewed on an XHTML page but cannot be accessed otherwise.

Kind regards,
    Satu/Forum Nokia Developer Support

Related question in the reverse

I'd like to cause the Nokia 3650 (which doesn't seem to want to cache) to cache some images, stylesheets and pages. The documentation, which notes that the Series60 doesn't support META tags, states that:

"The Nokia Series 60 mobile browser places viewed XHTML pages in the cache; however, pages are not cached by default. Caching makes previously visited pages quick to access, as there's no need to relead them. The user can empty the cache by selecting Clear Cache in the Options list in the browser.
    "The cache stored in the client can be controlled using HTTP headers. The "no-cache" HTTP header directive can be set by the HTTP server hosting the pages."

There is no such thing as a "no-cache" header, and even if relevant, the documentation specifically notes that caching is OFF BY DEFAULT! There are an awful lot of HTTP response headers I can send back to cause it to cache:

Cache-control:
    Expires:
    Last-Modified:
    Pragma:

What sort of settings should I use?

Thanks,

terry

Edit:
    I noticed someone else is having the same problem: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...threadid=28743

This is an important issue as the Nokia browser should at least be caching the stylesheet!
    Last edited by tychay; 2003-09-03 at 20:43.

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

unfortunately the information about caching in our documentation was out-of-date. Currently, Series 60 phones cache all content by default. If caching is not preferred, then one should set Cache-Control:"no-cache" directive in the HTTP header. Cache control by using Meta tag in not supported in the Series 60.

We will update the documentation as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
    Forum Nokia Developer Support