Discussion Board

64k < 65536? - "file too large to be loaded"

hello,

I tried to download a midlet suite on the 7210, with a jar file of 65360 bytes.

but the phone refuses the jar with the error "file too large to be loaded".

the access log of the webserver shows 65360 bytes delivered to the wap gateway and also the jad file contains "MIDlet-Jar-Size: 65360".

the webserver also deliveres the jar file with http header "Content-Length: 65360".

and finaly the free memory on the phone shows 114k.

the sw version of the 7210 is:
    V3.09
    02-10-02
    NHL-4

I hope somebody can explain this?

thanks,

martin

Super Contributor
    Hi Martin!

This all causes me some confusion too!! Most documentation that describes the maximum OTA JAR size gives a figure in k (64k in the case of the series 40 phones). On page 9 of 7210midpSimGuide.pdf it gives a figure of 63.7k - which works out to 65228.8 bytes (!), so still is not exact. I have not seen figures for any Nokia device given in bytes, which would be more useful, especially when we are invariably working to such a fine margin.

There's also a limit on the JAD file size, but it's about 5k, so not so hard to accomodate.

I'd guess your problem is that you're about 140 bytes over size, if 63.7k is reasonably accurate.

Cheers,
    Graham.

hi graham,

so you experience the same problems?

I also have a 7250 showing the same error with this jar file.

I tried to load the jar directly into the 7210 simulator and there it works.

would be cool if someone could put more light on the actual file sizes.

greets,

martin

My friend experienced similar problem with Series40.
    I don't remeber the exact maximal size, but 63Kb was safe enough

Super Contributor
    Hi Martin,

I'm not experiencing the same problem... yet. My project fits nicely onto a series 40 phone with room to spare (lucky me!!). But I have noticed this discrepancy before... Nokia have a document ("Characteristics of Nokia Java-Enabled Phones") that lists the OTA download limit of a 7210 as "64k" - yet, as the simulator manual says, and as you've experienced, it's actually slightly less than this. The same document lists the limit for a 3410 as "50k", but it seems likely that the real figure will be "49.xk". My project is now at 49.4k, so I'm in the same grey area you are.

It's interesting if the simulator is not replicating the phone 100%. How are you deploying your app to the sim? The sim does allow over-sized jar files, unless you use the -provisioning option. I'd be interested to know if you're using the -provisioning option and *still* getting a discrepancy, as this suggests that we cannot reliably size-test on a simulator (so I'll have to test on a real 3410, for example).

Hmmm... I've just done some testing on my 6100. I can transfer a JAR of up to (and including) 65536 bytes, but no larger. That's using the Nokia Application Installer. So, is the 6100 different in this respect to a 7210? Or are there different limits for NAI and OTA installation? I'll do some more testing and see if I can come up with a definitive limit - for my phone at least!

Cheers,
    Graham.

as i know there is a bug in some older s40 phones (my too)
    in this phones JAD and JAR filesize together must have a max. of 65536 bytes

I recently had this problem too - but i could download the game to our 7210 but not to a client's 7250 - had to squeeze the jar down to 63.6KB.

6100 jar size limits

hi there, not exactly the same problem, but found a real GOTCHA! recently...

on early releases of Nokia 6100 the 64kb limit is enforced (approximately! see above) for JAR size.

later releases seem to enforce this limit on the total of the JAR size PLUS the Midlet-Data-Size (amount of flash storage for app) requested in the application JAD. the error given is "File too large" with a STOP icon, at the point of JAD download.

if anyone has similar probs i can post more detail.
    cheers, dan moore.
    dan@infomatiq.co.uk

Regular Contributor
    i also see this problem, but not in series40 phone. in 6310i phone. and the funny thing is, only failed when install using Nokia PC Suite Installer. if the same jar file install OTA, it works. cannot explain, but just know it is.

ben

-------------------
    www.benhui.net - mobile developer resources portal