Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Internationalization ......Is this possible in J2ME?

Hi,

I want to develop an J2ME application, by which I should be able to download the different midlets from Server,
    I am explaining in detail..

I have around 6-8 midlets in server...(Each corresponds to different langauges fonts,char size,width height
    etc..)and I have Original(Main) midlet running in english on Mobile.Which has the option like switch language..
    and when user selects that option he can see all the available languages..and he can download too..
    and when He does that mobile should down load the corresponding midlet from server and install it into mobile
    and once this is done. My microedition.getEncoding (); should return English and other language which is downloaded.
    and coming I mean Say if user downloads Frech font midlet...and then he downloads some other midlets written in
    French..My mobile should be able support that..please note that there is not direct support from OEM for these fonts.
    whatever user downloaded from sever should act as Resource bundle for the future downloadable midlets...

Please let know is this possible in J2ME ?(MIDP 1.0)

If yes Can you tell me How to aproch for the same event..

Thanxz in advance

Chandu

chandu_bgm

J2ME is all about it

Say if user downloads Frech font midlet...and then he downloads some other midlets written in
    French..

I don't think that you can command downlading MIDlet from another MIDlet... although not completely sure.
    You can download just French resources and store them to RMS.

P.S.
    I assume you know that usually internatianalization goes via Resources bundle and you have some reasons not to use this approach

hi doctordwarf,

when you say "download french resource" do you mean download using http connection?

Thanks,

Ben

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your quick responce,

I need some clarification in this regard....

Yes I do mean This is done through The "HTTP" connections(OTA).

The main question what I am facing is downloading fonts related stuff and making that stuff available to all other future downloadable midlets.....

I mean say if you have downloaded french font midlet..And in future if you want to download any of the french related midlets then handset should not ask him for "download French font midlet" or "the languege is not supported"...stuff like that...So when you download some font related midlet That should persist in handset (untill user delet it manually).and should support futuristic download in this regard...

Regards

Chandu

Yes, I meant downloading via HTTP.

Let's think...
    1.I think you are not allowed to command downloading midlet.
    2.Actually even if you downloaded french resources to RMS, only midlets from the same suite can use it.... - check this. I didn't ever have to use RMS from different midlets, so I can remember its restrictions incorrectly (check and post here, of course )

Seems like the only use you can have out of it is providing user with the whole suite of several midlets and then, they would download french resources for common use. "New" midlets will not be able to use these resources. Kids, it's sandbox once again

Regular Contributor
    Thanks for that suggession....

I know about The sand box..(RMS restrictions,....,etc)
    Bcoz of that only I have posted the que on this board so that experts like you can help me...

So there is no way to do what I want to do?

Regards
    Chandu

Regular Contributor

Any help on this topic.......

hELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
    Any help on this topic.......

Regards

Chandu

Don't you have the answer yet?

Every MIDlet suite lives in his own. Any interoperability is available only within the same suite, external network and couple of extra things like camera access. Nothing more

Super Contributor
    One possibility is *don't ask the user what language they want*. Most phones allow the user to select a language for the phone's own UI - you should be able to find out which one is selected by:

System.getProperty ("microedition.locale")

For example, the property string will start with "en" for English, "fr" for French. These come from an ISO standard, the number of which I've forgotton, but you'll find more info in the MIDP specification.

Then you could download "fr.txt" or "en.txt" or whatever over an HTTP connection and shove it in a recordstore. You may want to send this in unicode (or UTF-8), or you might struggle with ru.txt, etc.

Graham.

grahamhughes

Then you could download "fr.txt" or "en.txt" or whatever over an HTTP connection and shove it in a recordstore. You may want to send this in unicode (or UTF-8), or you might struggle with ru.txt, etc.

He wants to download it once and use for many different midlets