Discussion Board

program running on emulator but error on device (nokia 6800)

Hi ,
    am just a beginer in J2ME, i had developed a simple application in J2ME and tested on the emulator for the 40 series(6800) the app is running perfectly fine.

but again if i install it on the device it shows the application installed on the device under the application icon when i select the application and open it then it give's an Alert msg
    "Action Cancelled" had checked all the files and other stuff everything seems Ok and is working on the J2ME wireless tookits default emulators and even on the Nokia 6800 emulator.
    need help not able to understand y it says action cancelled on the device and runs sucessfully on the emulator.

Regular Contributor
    what is the JAR file size??? it is limited to 65kb.

i also developing NOKIA 6800 games, me facing heap problem on it.

Hi fabiolee

the size for the jar file is just 1292 bytes 1.2 kb approx
    so memory is not at all an issue and its running perfectly on the emulators

Regular Contributor
    Please Check Your Jar/Jad Size.
    And also which toolkit you are using...
    I mean somtime when you use Ktoolbar for midp2.0 and develop game with resp 1.0 and when you try to deloy it on Device then also you'll face the problem.

I hope this might help.

Regards
    Chandu

Hi Chandu

i am using console for compiling and creating the Jar files foe the application and using midp1.0
    this is what i get when i check the version

C:\>midp -version
    Profile Spec : MIDP-1.0
    Profile Impl : 1.0.3 dist
    Configuration: CLDC-1.0

o you suggest any tool for developing for Nokia i have already downloaded the Nokia suit for 40 series but not conigured right now do you think compiling it with 40 series suit would help??

thanks for the guidance in advance

Super Contributor
    Hi!

Which emulator have you been using? I am thinking you might be using the generic series 40 emulator (that's skinned like a 6800). You might be better to use the 7210 emulator, as it's more accurate a representation. You can start this using an option "-provisioning" that will emulate the OTA installation process, and provide the same checks on the JAD and JAR files as the real thing.

I had problems getting my software to install initially - normally, the emulators perform few checks on validity, whereas the real phone performs many checks. In my case, I found that I was not careful enough with my JAD and JAR (MANIFEST.MF) contents. Check the documentation against these files carefully, and make sure that everything is in the right place, and is correctly formatted. The JAD must contain the correct JAR file size. You may need either an absolute path to the JAR, or just the JAR filename alone - try both. Check in your JAR file that the MANIFEST is present - extract it and check that it contains what you think it contains. The last line of both JAD and MANIFEST file must end with an end-of-line marker - simply, you must type a "return" at the end of the last line, or it may complain!

I started by stripping both JAD and MANIFEST files to the basics, including only those items described in the documentation as mandatory.

Another thing: I've assumed that you haven't managed to install it at all on the phone yet - if you have, you will have to delete it before re-installing. I'm using the Nokia Application Installer on a 6100, and it won't install what's already there (even if I change the version number).

Cheers,
    Graham.