Discussion Board

Receiving SMS on non-standard ports (e.g. WAP Push)

Hello,

We would like to use AT commands to read/receive SMS messages that arrive on non-standard ports. For example, if a WAP Push message is sent to the terminal via SMS, we would like to read its contents using AT+CMGR.

A simple test has shown that, while simple SMS messages can be read/received, a WAP Push message cannot be read using AT+CMGR. I see the following behavior:

Regular SMS:
    1) The SMS is sent to the M2M device and the device receives it
    2) The LED flashes green/red
    3) The at+cmgl="all" command shows a new message

WAP Push via SMS:
    1) The WAP Push is sent to the M2M device and the device receives it
    2) The LED does *not* flash green/red
    3) The at+cmgl="all" command yields no output

My question: is there any possibility that non-standard ports could work? Any settings I should adjust? Or can AT commands only display normal SMS messages?

thanks!
    -Graham

Regular Contributor
    Hi!

You can't read Wap push messages with AT commands (for e.g. +CMGR, +CMGL) when Wap push messages are using non-standard port. Wap push messages which are using non-standard port are not stored to "SM" and "ME" message storages in Nokia 30 GSM Connectivity Terminal and that's why you can't read those messages with AT commands.

If you send wap push messages to standard port (2948) then you can read wap push messages with AT commands (+CMGR, +CMGL) because messages are stored to "ME" message storage.

It is possible to see the arriving Wap push messages (the whole message will be automatically displayed) when they are routed directly to TE (when TE is active), for instance with the AT-command "AT+CNMI=2,2,0,1,0".

Could you please let us know what software version of Nokia 30 are you using? You can check this with Nokia 3x configurator:
    Open Nokia 3x configurator -> Help -> About -> MCU SW Version: x.xx

Best Regards
    M2M Developer Support Team
    Last edited by Nokia_M2M; 2003-07-31 at 08:00.

NOKIA_M2M

Dear Graham,

Is it also affect's OTA SMS Messages (port : 49999)?, seems like we have similar problem but slightly different behaviour,

We receive first part of the multi-part OTA SMS, don't understand what happens to the remaining parts!!!

Can you help us with this issue?, We are using Nokia30 in AT Command mode.

Thanks and Regards
    Jacques

Hello M2M Support team,

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, routing to TE (AT+CNMI=2,2,0,1,0) did not change the situation. The routing worked -- regular SMS were pushed to my terminal upon arrival -- but nothing displayed on the terminal when a WAP Push arrived via SMS. I also tested another port (6222, I believe it is unused) and got the same result (nothing displayed).

According to the Nokia 31 Configurator, the MCU SW Version is V 3.00. The HW Version is 0405.

thank you,
    -Graham

Hello Jacques,

I saw your post in another thread and wondered about it. If you can describe how you run your experiment, I can try to repeat it and see what results I have here.

thanks,
    -Graham

Push Messages and Nokia 30

Hello Graham,

I am trying to get an answer to this problem at different locations, seems like even the M2M Support team does not have an answer.

They just ask me try "AT+CNMI=2,2,0,1,0" which would route all SMS to Terminal which we can not do it in our system.

I think our problem is exactly similar to yours, i.e we could not receive OTA Push messages in Nokia 30.

You can try this test with your Nokia 30.

Pls check with your operator's OTA Configuration. Most likely, you need to send a SMS to a special number provided by your operator with Phone Model (for example N3650 for Nokia 3650) to retrieve their OTA settings for WAP or MMS or CSD or all three.

Normally we insert the SIM in phone and request for OTA from Operator and then immediately remove the SIM to put it back in Nokia 30.

Now Nokia 30 should receive OTA SMS Messages, but it is not.

Did you try to read the SMS Push in M2M mode?

=Jags

Problem Solved

I want to post the conclusion to this problem: Our Nokia 31 M2M module had SW Version V 3.00. After an upgrade to to SW Version is V 4.69, it worked for this scenario.

I have to give thanks to the Nokia M2M team for this

bjaags, I will still see if I can reproduce your problem.

thanks,
    -Graham

Receiving SMS on non-standard ports (e.g. WAP Push)

Graham,

May I know how to upgrade the software and where to download it?

Best Regards

bjaags,
    usually you have to connect to the local Nokia representive to update terminal software. (if they can't do it in the place where you bought it)