Discussion Board

Cell phone developer site

Hello everyone! In the tradition of so many great websites (gbadev, flipcode, gamedev, etc...) I thought it was about time to have a website dedicated to developing on cell phones that was created by developers targeted for developers. From my experience there are really no existing sites out there except for phone specific sites like this one. So I have just started www.celldev.com.

If you go there now it is just a pretty layout with ZERO content. That's why I'm here; I am seeking content from any developers out here that would like to contribute to this development community! If you would like to contribute tutorials, product reviews, demos, or anything please email me at webmaster@celldev.com. Thanks in advance!

Don't you think, you would better fill it first at least with something?

So that we would at least know, that you are not a student with "fantastic" project, that will disappear in some two months

DoctorDwarf,

Your concern is valid, however I am a professional developer with several published titles under my belt. I just bought the domain about a week ago and am working on it in my free time. For a site like this to be truly successful it requires support from outside sources. I will not be dropping the site any time soon. I will be personally contributing articles to the site myself, however one person can not contribute enough information for the site to be truly beneficial.

Currently I do not consider the site to be "live". I am just trying to get enough content together to make the first initial push for the site. Thanks for voicing your concerns and I hope you realize that I am very serious about making this a permanent and well-respected site for mobile development.

May I ask you couple questions about the whole idea of the site?

Is it gonna be some volunatry site, or you gonna have some business model at least in the future?

Are you going to have own forum or use e.g. this one?

Which areas of mobile development are you going to cover or alltogether?

Well, could you describe which "market share" on the site market are you going to take? What will make your site special and more attractive then, say, Sun's Wireless Developer?

doctordwarf,

Thanks for your questions. I should have been more specific with my earlier post.

-----
    This is intended to receive content on a volunteer basis from the development community. I plan to contribute largely to these tutorials and reviews, especially at first, since there really needs to be a fairly large content base to drive traffic to the site.

This site is intended to offer information to help developers of cell phone applications. What it will offer that is unique from other sites is a one stop site for all forms of cell phone development. While there are some great sites currently they are typically targeted for specific brands or products; such as this site being targeted at Nokia and Sun's Wireless Developer being targeted primarily towards J2ME.

Celldev will offer tutorials that are both applicable across multiple phones, and one's targeted to specific phones. It will also address all major phone languages such as J2ME, Brew, and Symbian. We will also review developer products and do product comparisons (exp. Sun One Studio versus JBuilder).

Tutorials will be organized by language, then by phone. Currently I do not have a forum on the site, but I will be putting one up.

Currently I have no business model for the site since it is not intended for me to profit, but rather to increase developer awareness. I have considered putting small ads on the site to make enough money to pay for hosting so that it does not come out of pocket. However, I will not decide on that until I see how traffic picks up.

Again, thank you for your questions. If you have anymore I will try to answer them as best I can. I will be out of town until Aug 4th though. I am getting married today, so I will be away on my honeymoon. Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

MANY HAPPY YEARS TO YOUR WIFE AND YOUR FAMILY!

Thanks. The honeymoon went great. Now I'm back home and ready to get back to work on content for the site. I'm looking for more content guys and gals! Please email me at webmaster@celldev.com or instant message me on MSN joeatoctane@hotmail.com. Please help make this a great site it isn't possible to do something like this alone. If you don't want to write anything new feel free to send old demos you already wrote with or without source code. It will be much easier to get good content flowing in once it gets started. Also, I will be writing a couple of articles and updating this weekend so that I can add something myself.

Well I thought I'd bump this since I have really changed the layout of my site a ton in the last couple of weeks due to a lot of feedback as to what the site should be like.

Please take a minute and look at the site, then email any suggestions on how you think you would benefit more from this site. I am looking primarily for layout suggestions and type of content you would like to see. Right now there is a lot of design, but very little content. Feel free to sign up and post in the forum.

http://www.celldev.com

I was about to say 'have a link to our forum' but then I read the rest of your posts and notice you have one already...

But if you decide to have links to other forums, here it is anyway:
    http://www.incognitogames.com/forum/

Site's looking cool too

Clive,

Your site looks nice. I linked to this forum primarily because it is the most popular forum for Nokia development currently. My plan in the short term is that I will link to popular developer forums like this to help people find these resources more quickly.

However, the long term goal is that users will not need to use these forums as frequently since they will begin using the celldev forum instead, as it will hopefully fit all their needs.

While I really enjoy your site, I think that it would be go against the nature of the site to direct people to another forum that is very small. It seems like the main intent of your site is to promote your company and your products. Why have the forum there at all? We would love to see you join us on the forum at celldev.

Also, if your company has any job openings at anytime and you would like to post them on celldev please contact us. Job listings are free of charge.