Discussion Board

Need to catch key-strokes on Nokia 6100.

Hello,
    I need to catch everytime the user pushes a key on his Nokia 6100 phone in order to handle the character before inserting it into a textfield.

How can this be done?
    I couldnt find any suitable SDK class (inside microedition.* package). Must I go 'deeper' into the Symbian OS in order to catch these kind of events (what symbian OS is installed on 6100?)?

Greatful for help and/or hints.

Sincerely
    Mikael

complement

...and I have tried the Canvas object but the keyPressed(int keyCode) function is never called when running my MIDlet?

Mikael

Super Contributor
    It can't be done on a regular Form. There is no way to receive keypress events in the high level UI classes.
    You also can't go "deeper into the Symbian OS", since the 6100 doesn't run Symbian. Only Series 60 phones (7650, 3650 and the upcoming 6600) run Symbian OS.
    This leaves you with only one choice: extending a Canvas. I don't understand how come keyPressed() was never called, but maybe if you post some code then I could help. Using a Canvas would mean that you would need to implement all the functionality of a TextField yourself (not a pleasant task).

shmoove