Discussion Board

Sockets in MIDP 1.0

Hi

Im developing a J2ME Chat client and im using MIDP 1.0. I know that Socket connections are not implemented in MIDP 1.0 specifications. Of course if somebody try to compile a code with Socket object, it doesnt compile.

Well for that reason im trying to use a Connector(url) and a StreamConnection. Something like this:

try {

String url = "socket://" + "200.74.214.103" + ":" + "6660";
    StreamConnection s = (StreamConnection)

Connector.open(url);

Client( s); //manage messages in s

}
    catch (IOException ioe) {

exception(ioe);
    }

For me is another way to connect a chat server. I test the program in a different emulators (J2ME wireless toolkit, nokia emulator 60 series, palm emulator, motorola emulator) and it works. But if i run the program in a handset for example Nokia 3650 for GPRS, GTRAN phone, it doesnt work. Now i dont now if the problem is with the code or the implementation of gateways (celular network).

Somebody can tell me if there is something wrong? I can use that in MIDP 1.0? Is there another way to do that, some suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Yeap, that is fine, and works fine in the Nokia 7650 (I have a VNC client that uses it) What is the error message throw?

Sockets in MIDP 1.0

thanks fow answering

the message is something like this:

the port or url cannot be contacted, i dont remeber exactly, also the message is too fast in the phone.

i contacted the phone manufacturer and they told me that socket in not implemented because Socket is not defined in MIDP 1.0.

I think there is a confuse, but if you say that it works, i dont know what to do. Could you tell me if there is a way to test? i made another test using a telnet for handsets and it didnt work either.

Thanks again

Sockets defently in the 7650, they are optional for MIDP 1.0, and will throw an error like: The Requested Protocal Does Not Exist.
    Put a Alert in the catch statment so you have time to read the exception.

'Sockets in MIDP 1.0'

exactly its the same error

whats happening?

I've noticed you are using a Nokia 3650, I read that as a Nokia 7650. I don't know if the 3650 supports sockets, prob. not.