Discussion Board

HTTP chunked responses on 3650

I have an app that is receiving data over an HTTP connection and the response is chunked in several blocks, as is standard for HTTP/1.1 . I create the HTTP connector, open an input stream, and start reading one byte at a type with read(). This works until the end of the first chunk; at that point read() hangs.

Is this a bug in the Nokia 3650 implementation? Has anyone else seen it?

Is there a workaround? Is there a way to make the GET request using protocol version HTTP/1.0? Failing that is there a way to read past the end of the first chunk?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

your solustion

my be you can go to this page to solve your problem http://wireless.java.sun.com/midp/articles/network. I hope can help you

I have seen the same problem, and it exists both on 7650 and 3650, with various handset versions. The error I get at the InputStrean.read() call is ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

I am not aware of any workaround (except patching the server to not to use chunked responses or patching the application to request data in smaller pieces).

To see an example application and some further description of the problem, take a look at: http://www.sourceress.net/s60chunked.html

--Jarkko

Thanks for the confirmation that this is a real problem. Fortunately, my app goes to a single server under my control, so I changed the server to not chunk its response and things now work.

I too have a similar problem involving chunked data. I have a video stream which in the emulator I can run direct from source to phone and it works perfectly OK (I imagine the source is chunking data).

However it would seem that my mobile operator (Vodafone ES), seem to have some restriction on this type of data (or it could be the WAP gateway) and so it doesnt work.

To get round this I created a servlet which streams data from the source to the servlet and the mobile connects to this servlet. However doing this I run into the chunked data problems which have been described in this post.

I thought perhaps my server was the problem but now I am thinking maybe its the phone. I am using tomcat 4.1.27 and dont think I can disable chunking.

Is the problem confirmed as exisiting on the phones by the fact that there seem to be several of us with this problem or could it still be my server?

I have just tried my application on a 6600 and the problem seems to be fixed. So it is confirmed pretty much that it was a bug in the 3650 and 7650.

Now the funny thing is it is not fixed in the emulators. I have tried in the Concept 0.3.1 and Symbian OS 1.2.1 both give the old CRLF not found bug.

7600 Has the same problem

I dont know if anyone from Nokia has looked into this at all (I doubt it) but this problem also exists on the Nokia 7600.

What a shame.

Re: HTTP chunked responses on 3650

Hi all,

I've the same problem on a N70 with the first firmware implemented on it.

Re: HTTP chunked responses on 3650

Hi all,

I've solve my problem on the N70.
    Have a look to this post I explain my solution :

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=116965