Discussion Board

Symbian Series 60 Toolchain

Hello,

After downloading the Symbian SDK 1.2 and spend almost 5 hours trying to figure out what going on with it, I'm completely dissapointed:

1. Changing the default installation path and everything fails (very lame packaging style).
    2. You can't use VS.net but only VS6 if you want the wizard to work.
    3. Totally illogical way of compiling, building, targetting applications. This one is the most insane: why on earth they choose that the project should exist in directory A, the intermediate files in another directory B and the built applications in directory C (instead of following a more logical path like everyone else does), beats me.

Please do not misjudge me: I'm quite experienced in AmigaOS, Linux, Windows (NT/CE) and MacOS programming, but never I was so confused about Symbian programming. There is no good documentation on application specific programming (the base skeleton), nor there are working tools available (Sisar always bombs out with a fatal error when I try to create a new project file, the menu editor is missing...). I simply CAN'T (and won't) develop under these circumnstances.

I would like to ask fellow developers, which is the best toolchain for Symbian programming with the following characteristics:

1. Ease of use in terms of project management. An environment like MSVC+ or eMbedded Visual C++ is most desirable.
    2. Quality of produced code - let's face it, gcc is good but it produces kinda bloated code.
    3. Documentation support. A simple on-line help would be nice.

I have Borland C++ Builder 6 enterprise (the full version, not the light one Nokia has), should I opt to buy the mobile plug-in with it or opt for Codewarrior?

In case I should choose GCC, there is another question:
    The GCC toolchain that builds native MARM executables is buggy, according to the main gcc site. The gcc compiler provided with the SDK is based on a 2.9.1 tree built by Cygnus for EPOC support. According to the main gcc update log, there is a certain situation where templates are used and the compiler can produce incorrect code. The error has been fixed with 2.9.9.3 but unfortunately Symbian provides updates up to 2.9.3 version.

So the obvious question: can I upgrade the compiler to the latest version (3.2.x) running under Windows? If yes, how.

Excuse me for the long post.
    Many thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor
    I completely agree with you that things are kinda awkward unless you use VC 6.0 and the default install path...
    but once used to these... programming is not so bad.
    I have come quite far with my app, and if I need that extra speed I just drop down to assembly coding.
    Everything provided is free, and for it being free it is pretty darn good!
    Go NOKIA!

What about those of us who don't own Visual Studio? The tools aren't quite free, in that case.

I wonder why a free SDK couldn't ship using only free build tools. I could live without building for WINS and the emulator, and avoid the whole issue -- but the SDK seems hardwired to use MS' nmake! (FYI, you can get a free version of nmake from MS, but it didn't seem to work for me.)

--Jason

Exactly my point jkarney. Either support the latest commercial tools or build your own free tools. In fact, it could be possible to use gcc both for wins and armi coding, together with the excellent opensource Dev-C IDE.