Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is upgradation from MIDP 1.0 to MIDP 2.0 Possible

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is doing fine.
    Could anyone please tell me is it possible to upgrade the profile on my mobile phone say Nokia series 40?

If not. Is it ok if i develop the game using the MIDP 2.0 API and then bundle it together with the game and ship it to run with MIDP 1.0??

Please help

Thanks and Adiu,
    Goldy.

Regular Contributor

MIDP

most vendor swill not be at the point of allowing MIDP upgrades via frimware for sometime..

However, if you develop game for MIDP1.0 as yoru core code base you then can modify that base ofr MIDP2.0 to add features without too much headaches..

Gamin

Hello,

Thank you very much for you reply.
    I would like to know if it is possible for me to develop a Game using javax.microedition.lcdui.game package and then port it to a MIDP1.0 enabled device (of course after bundling the game package).

Is it ok if I bunlde the GAME package with my game and ship it for MIDP1.0 device?

Are there any other strings attached with the game package (eg. confirmity to CLDC 1.1 etc.)?

Please help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

I think It would not be so easy to migrate..

Regards

Chandu

Super Contributor

To goldylukka

You won't be able to bundle the game package into an MIDP 1.0 app. You will get an "Can't create class in system library" (or something similar) error. If you want to use the game package then you'll either have to implement all it's functionality in MIDP 1.0 yourself (doable but not easy), or wait for an MIDP 2.0 phone.

shmoove

To Shmoove

Hey,

What I am doing is just extracting the game package along with other dependent packege (classes).

Can I consider the same as if it had been developed by me and ported along with my program which uses these classes.

Unless the game package is not dependent upon any other criteria, I guess WE CAN PORT IT.

I respect your ideas and welcome your views.

Thanks for the post.

Super Contributor
    I don't have much experience with the game package (or MIDP 2.0 for that matter), but I would presume some of the methods in the package would be implemented natively by the VM. If that is the case then porting won't be easy, if at all possible (since you can't implement those native functions).
    If not (I doubt it) then it might be possible to extract the implementation and package it with your app. Make sure to change the package names, since adding packages under the java.* or javax.* is impossible, and will give you the "Can't create class in system package" error.
    I remember reading a thread around here of someone who is porting the game package into MIDP 1.0. You should look for that thread and try to contact this person.

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    I didn't check, but I'm almost sure that Game API use floating point numbers, that is supported by MIDP 2.0 but not 1.0. So renaming package is not enough.

Well...

I tried searching for "float" in the 6 classes provided in the games package and search returned 0 result.

Interesting...

Yes, floating point, access to IR/Bluetooth etc... You can't port MIDP 2.0 to 1.0 in general, i'm pretty sure.

Regular Contributor
    We tried testing our MIDP 2.0 developed application on a 7650 and the application couldn't even load. I guess creating your apps in MIDP 1.0 would be a better choice.

YC

Regular Contributor
    Hi

"floating point numbers "

I think that much to do with CLDC rather than MIDP.
    If I am not wrong CLDC 1.1 Includes FLOATING POINTs not MIDP 1.0 or 2.0 and MIDP 2.0 is INDEPENDENT of CLDC I mean you can use cldc 1.0 or 1.1 that doent make any difference...

Regards

Chandu

Hi all,
    I am sure not the only one who found the following pages:
    http://www.pmn.co.uk/20030610nokiajava.shtml
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3686.html

Here, it is clearly stated that Nokia plans to bring or already has broght MIDP 2.0 to the series 60 phones such as the 7650 or the 3650.

I am looking also for a possibility to upgrade my phone's firmware in order to have MIDP 2.0 MIDlets running on it.

If anybody found out how to upgrade the firmware, please tell me instantaniously.

I would appreciate to get a reply from an official position.

Thanks a lot,
    Martin

series 60, mipd 2.0

To theMan: I think you got something wrong or these articles just don't clearly point out that Nokia will support MIPD 2.0 on their new 6600 phone (that of course is Series 60).
    As far as I know Nokia never implemented new Features in Firmware Updates (nor do other phone companies), as you can see with the 7250 compared to 7250i (that have the same hardware i guess). And why should they? They want to sell new phones, not to upgrade the old ones for free.

For me MIPD 2.0 is a nice thing, but i will wait with useing it in midlets till mid of next year (or longer) when more devices are shipped out to the customer.

Regular Contributor
    Yah...it don't seem quite possible for firmware to come with new features. So far, I have only heard of firmware upgrades that make the phone more stable to use (eliminating existing bugs).

Cheers,
    YC