Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian does NOT work with Visual Studio .NET according to this

Here is a re-post of what I found on Symbian's website. We have to wonder why Nokia claims the Symbian OS SDK IS compatable with Visual Studio .NET:

======================

Support Comment
    Author: Phil Spencer Date Reported: 11/03/2002
    Log Number: CPP-897

Comment On:
    Is current ER6 SDK compatible with Visual Studio .NET?

Subject:
    Untested, Unsupported

Details:
    Visual Studio 6.0 (VC++ 6.0 SP3) is the only supported version of Visual Studio for Symbian OS v6.x SDKs. For ER5 you can use the older VC++ 5.0 as well.

We have no plans to support Visual Studio .NET. Any development you wish to do with the SDKs under .NET will be unsupported and cannot be guaranteed to work - lots has changed beteween VS 6.0 and .NET.

Regards,

Phil

This was a reply on some message board that gave me the answers I needed to make the SDK work in Visual Studio .NET:

Visual Studio .NET is not officially supported for use with any Symbian OS SDKs. However, based on feedback from some developers who have experimented with it, you may find that using the following steps you can get your SDK to work correctly.

After doing abld makefile vc6 as usual, open the generated .dsp file. Visual C++ .NET will convert it to the new "solution" format (.sln). You will now need to change some compiler settings. Right click on the project name and bring up the Project Properties dialog. Under the C/C++ heading, set the following options as shown:

Code Generation
    Enable C++ Exceptions No
    Buffer Security Check No
    Command Line
    Additional Options /QIfist

This should remove all compiler/linker errors and warnings.

You also need to make sure your PATH environment variable is correctly setup. If you've upgraded from Visual Studio 6.0 then you should change the entries like C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin; to point to the new Visual Studio .NET installation, something like C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .net\VC7\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .net\Common7\IDE;.

To enable command line builds to complete properly, you will also need to add the /QIfist flag to \epoc32\tools\cl_win.pm. The exact form of this varies with the SDK that's installed but in general it will look something like this:

&main::Output(
    "CLFLAGS = /nologo /Zp4 /W4 /QIfist"
    );

Or

&main::Output(
    "CLFLAGS =",
    " /nologo", # suppress "sign-on" banner message
    " /Zp4", # packs structures on 4 byte boundaries
    " /GF", # Pools strings and places them in ead-only memory
    " /QIfist" # fixes _ftol2 link errors with Visual C++ .net
    );

best of luck

Regular Contributor
    Kavan, you say "After doing abld makefile vc6 as usual" - what do you mean? I have never gotten "abld" to work yet. Where do I run "abld" from? What environment paths do I have to have set up for it to provide me with the .dsp file? Are these the exact parameters for "abld" or are you substituting some generic names here for what needs to be replaced with the project name or something else? Where are the makefiles? Are you talking about the MAC Perl build files (.mmp) ?

This is part of the problem here. These tools do not work with the setup provided by Nokia. We need more information.

Also, I am not upgrading from VC6. I am using VS .NET right out of the box. I found no reason to upgrade from VS 97 to any newer versions until now.

Any more specific help anyone can provide on this subject will be greatly appreciated!!!

You'll have to run tools from VS.NET command prompt (available form Visual Studio .NET tools start menu). Yo go to the folder with mmp file and enter exactly this:

bldmake bldfiles
    abld makefile vc6

You will need Perl for this (available from www.activestate.com)

The resulting files will appear in a location under this folder \Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\6.1\SERIES60 depending on the path of your project.

Also notice that you will have problems with emulator if you've not installed under c drive. In this case you'll have to set the working directory for the emulator (in the shortcut file). I've also corrected _EPOC_DRIVE_D in \Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Data\epoc.ini, but I'm not sure if this is necessary.

Regular Contributor

.obj not found

If the linker in Visual Studio tells you that he could not find some .obj file of your project ensure that you start Visual Studio from the same drive like your project.
    So if your project ist on drive D modify your visual studio shortcut so that it's started from "d:\" .

Regular Contributor
    > I've also corrected _EPOC_DRIVE_D in \Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Data\epoc.ini, but I'm not sure if this is necessary.

It *is* absolutely necessary, this single modification cured my problem I was spending the better part of the day with... I could compile both to wins and armi, the program ran on the phone but the emulator plainly refused to cooperate.

Now that I know what to look for, I could find some reference in Devlib.chm about "How to emulate drives using the configuration file" but this should be mentioned somewhere along the installation instructions.

Thanks,
    Gabor

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

About that _EPOC_DRIVE_D definition.

8< --- from SDK help ---
    How to configure virtual drives
    The location of virtual drives can be specified by entries in the emulator configuration file (usually epoc.ini). You can override the default locations of z: and c: drives, or specify additional drives. The process is:

Open epoc.ini in a text editor. It can be found at epoc32\data\. If it does not already exist, you can create it.

Enter the keyword _EPOC_DRIVE_, followed immediately by the letter for the drive, a space, and the location on the PC file system it maps to.

For example, _EPOC_DRIVE_D c:\temp maps a virtual drive D: to the PC directory c:\temp.

Save the file.

8< ----
    "_EPOC_DRIVE_D c:\temp" defines virtual D-drive for emulator too and it can be used as MMC card.

Br V

Get this tool and forget about problems

wallsmedia.narod.ru/epoc

Save your time and work for