Discussion Board

CSS and XHTML support of Nokia XHTML browsers

I'm looking for resources that would give detailed information on (in table form, for example) what XHTML elements, what attributes and what CSS properties are supported by different Nokia browsers (specifically the ones on 3650, 7250i and the upcoming 6600). I'm disappointed by the lack of detail in current Forum Nokia documents.

Any pointers, anyone?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

Please see

http://www.forum.nokia.com - Technologies - Browsing/WAP Developers - Documents - Nokia WAP Phones - 'Nokia GSM WAP Phone WML and XHTML Elements' document.

Kind regards,

sami / Forum Nokia Developer Support

I've seen that document. It says nothing about CSS support of any of the phones or anything about the 7250i phone.

Is this the best Nokia can do to help developers?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

we are currently updating our browsing documentation and new version of 'WAP Service Developer´s Guide for Nokia Series 40 Phones with XHTML Browser' is estimated to be available within a couple of weeks. WAP CSS information for Series 60 phones with XHTML support can be found from:

http://www.forum.nokia.com - Technologies - Browsing/WAP Developers - Documents - Nokia WAP Phones - 'WAP Service Developer´s Guide for Nokia Series 60 Phones with XHTML Browser' document.

'Nokia GSM WAP Phone WML and XHTML elements' will be updated at the same timeframe with Nokia 7250i, Nokia 3100 and Nokia 6600 browser information. Developers will be informed via Nokia Developer Newsletter when the updated documents are available on the Forum Nokia web site.

Kind regards,

sami / Forum Nokia Developer Support

I found a document called XHTML Guidelines (XHTML_Guidelines.pdf) on www.forum.nokia.com

It describes what you are looking for.

/Casper

Thanks, but that document does not describe what the phones _actually_ are capable of. For instance, the document (XHTML Guidelines, June 2002, page 35) tells you that when you use the ACCESSKEY attribute to define shortcut anchors, those shortcuts would appear in the Options menu. In the actual phones (at least 3650, 7250i) they do not.

accesskey is supported

Actually, on the 3650 accesskey is supported (as noted ion the Nokia_GSM-WAP_Phone_WML_and_XHTML_elements). Unlike the older phones which provide accesskey elements in the options menu, the 3650 will jump to the accesskey if you press and hold the number button.

As for wcss support, the best you can do is look at http://www.w3.org/TR/css-mobile . Unfortunately, it is trial-and-error as to what is currently supported by the Nokia (I haven't found any reference on their site and hope they will be adding it to the above document). For instance, I found that background images are not supported (ARGH!)

Take care,

terry

Hi,

I tried the accesskey attribute on a link element on a 3650 and 6600.
    When I press the key, nothing happens.
    Do I have to do something else ?

Thanks.

Press AND HOLD the key. Note, only the number keys work, not the * and # which are reserved on the Nokia "Services" browser.

Take care,

terry