Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem with creating a project with MS VC++ 6 and Series 60 SDK Application Wizard

Hi

I have Visual C++ 6.0 and the Series 60 SDK 1.2 and I've been trying to use the Application Wizard for creating the project files, but can't get it to work.
    I have copied the AvkonAppWiz.awx and AvkonAppWiz.hlp to the template directory (D:\Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition\MSDev98\Template) as instructed. Then as I fire up the Visual C++ 6 and select new project and Series 60 AppWizard everything goes ok until to the moment when wizard is ready to create the project files and is displaying the info about directories and files about to be created in the gray window labeled "New Project Information". After I've pressed the OK button there I get an dialog saying "D:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\epoc32\build\test\group\wins\test.dsw The specified project could not be inserted into the current workspace." After OK-button from there another error message: "Failed to open workspace: 0x8004a004".

Am I doing something wrong here or what? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Same problem caught me!

I have VC++6 with SP5 and the Operate System is Win2000 adv Server.

I has similar problem

I copy mspdb60.dll

From

\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin\mspdb60.dll

to

\WINNT\system32\

Try this.

No use.

Thanks,but it's not the answer!

problem using series60 App Wizard

Hi, I had the same problem. Have you found out the solution yet? Thanks, Lil

the answer

Your project must share SAME partion with symbian!

Hmmm....

Am I the only one who gets scary flashbacks of Dos6 and windows 3.11? I mean, when was the last time you installed software that made any assumptions about drive partitions and didn't allow spaces in filenames? I'm thinking 1990... Sigh!

As you might have guessed, I am having the same problem and have tried

1) To copy mspdb60.dll to system32
    2) To include ...vstudio\bin in my path
    3) To keep symbian on the same partition as my source code

None of the above seems to help - am I supposed to install everything to C:\ ?

Funny thing is, the MIDP SDK has similar issues (I.e. completely useless error messages right after a clean install with no hints anywhere as to what's going on) and so does the Borland CBuilder version (except this hides the issue by forcing your source code into a path below the symbian SDK - yuck!).

Nokia, it's time to wake up your QA staff!

Regular Contributor
    Hi!
    I have encountered the same problem before. What i did is to set the environment settings of VC++ by running vcvars32.bat, which is in vc98\bin, from a command prompt and from that window i
    open VC++. This works.. I think doing this sets up a new setting for the VC++ which is different from the settings in PATH.
    i hope this solves your problem.

--julie ann

Voodoo magik

I re-tried all of the 3 things mentioned above once more and now it seems to work.

I.e. mspdb60.dll must be in system32, vc98\bin (where vcvars32.bat is located) must be in your path and Symbian must be installed to the same partition as your project source code.

Still, rather pathetic how these tools make all kinds of assumptions about how things are installed and set up. That's more or less exactly what they told us not to do in our first windows-programming class at UNI 10 years ago.

Thank you!

It worked for me too.

I still having the same problem even I did all the 3 steps mentioned (copy dll, include path, same partition)...

Any help? I am using XP Pro, VC++ V6.0, Symbian 6.1 SDK.

Thanks.

CT
    Malaysia

Regular Contributor
    Hi CT!

can you tell more about your problem? otherwise, we won't be able how to resolve it.

anyway, the 3 steps also worked for me. i don't have to set the settings of my visual c++ anymore.

Thanks for those who have shared their knowledge :)

-- julie ann

I am having the problem as described by Haverick at the beginning of the threads. Where at the AppWizard, it pop up a message box saying failed to create a project in the Symbian directory (even though I specify the location to be at C:\workspace\Project1).

I did tried to copy the dll to system32, it failed too.

Or is it my installation of symbian SDK having problem??? coz I am new here and wanna reach the sky in a night. Could brief on what is needed for installation?? I installed VC++, Symbian SDK 6.1 as provided by Nokia.

Thanks.

CT
    Malaysia

Hi. Thanks for help. I solved the problems already after I looking thru the forum for the proper way of installing the SDK.

1. Install SDK 0.9 with Perl and JRE
    2. Uninstall SDK 0.9 only
    3. Install SDK 1.2
    4. Copy the dll file.
    5. DONE!!!

Thanks Thanks.

CT
    Malaysia

Regular Contributor
    Hi all..
    I still have the same problem.

First of all, I copied MSPDB60.DLL into \Windows\system32 folder.
    But when I try to register the dll by typing "regsvr32 MSPDB60.DLL", it gives error saying :

"MSPDB60.DLL was loaded, but DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
    MSPDB60.DLL does not appear to be a .DLL or .OCX file"

Then, i setup the path to be:
    "Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin; "

(both of them)

I also ran vcvars32.bat from vc98\bin.

but still didn't work. Whenever i try to create a new project, I get error at the end.

I'm creating this new project in the same partition as my Symbian is installed, though my VC 6.0 is installed in another drive.

What could be the problem ??
    Please help me in this

Thanks!