Discussion Board

Hybrid View

3650 posted a few weeks ago but still no joy

Previous post is below: All files are available at http://www.netsima.co.uk/midlets/sample.zip - If anybody can get this to compile and run on a 3650 Nokia phone then please let me know. If you live in South of UK then I would be interested in talking with you . Lost hours on trying to figure this one out.

Hi,

Still a newbie unfortunately, but getting there.

Problem: I have an application which I have built using the Hawk example applicaton bundled with the NDS. I have figured out how to compile with compiler flag of -target 1.1 so I no longer get the preverify warnings. Also successfully downloaded to my 3650.

When I choose applications and try to run the game then nothing happens.

I basically used the Hawk to figure out the APIs. I'm using MIDP in the Jad file as 1.0 (2.0 seems problematic???? - still figuring it out!).

Using WTK 2.0 / Forte J2ME [actually using a batch file calling the NDS classes.zip]/ J2SE 1.4.1, Win XP, . . .

All runs fine in the emulator.

The Nokia 3650 supports the MIDP 1.0 API:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,015_20,00.html

The Hawk MIDlet example uses the MIDP 2.0 API.

(Forum Nokia provides some MIDP 1.0 example MIDlets:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,1_0_15,00.html)

Kind regards

Is that a definite?

Hi jareilly,

Thanks for the response.

I was under the impression that Series 60 phones use some of the built in Nokia APIs. Hence I compiled using the Nokia classes. Using :

javac -target 1.1 -d classes -bootclasspath C:\Nokia\Devices\Series_60_MIDP_Concept_SDK_Beta_0_3_Nokia_edition\lib\classes.zip src\*.java

These classes are the only way to access Sprites and Game Canvas. I set Forte J2ME to use the nokia emulator and it all works well (as you say the default emulators are MIDP 1.0 so I received error messages when trying to import the game classes).

Also MIDP 1.0 zero doesn't cater for .png files, MIDP 2.0 does. I've downloaded a few sample games just to test and they show all the signs of using .png files (the halo effect due to too much contrast between the transpancy colour, background, etc). I don't know how they could possibly build those games without sprites.

Again, extremely grateful for a response but I'm sure that it is possible to get that simple pegasus game to run on the real phone.

Regards,

wprescott

Super Contributor
    The 3650 runs MIDP 1.0. Sprite and GameCanvas are MIDP 2.0 classes. That won't work. That's a definite.
    And no, you can't upgrade the phone either.
    If you want MIDP 2.0 you need to find a way to get a 6600.

shmoove

Super Contributor
    MIDP 1.0 does indeed support PNG - it is the only image format that implementations are required to support. So you'll see PNG images in the majority of MIDP 1.0 applications, I would guess.

Interesting that you find you have to use -target 1.1... I don't, and I get no preverify errors... (and everything runs fine). Perhaps you'd be better off using the 1.0.4 WTK?

Graham.

PNG - with transparency

Graham,

I should have typed png images with transparency.

Wayne

Super Contributor
    Wayne,

You'd be correct in saying that the MIDP 1.0 specification doesn't require implemetations to support transparency, but I think a lot of implementations do.

Graham.