Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

MIDP 1.0 ChoiceGroup too long !

I'm developing an application for nokia 7650 using high level api.
    I have to put a ChoiceGroup with a lot of choices (sometimes over 100). Since I can't control the text size, each choice covers at least 2 rows. I also have information under the ChoiceGroup whice will not be seen because the ChoiceGroup is too long.

How can I do a scroll(through all the choices) but only showing 3,4 choices on the screen.
    Or, how can I put a "label" in a form(instead of the ChoiceGroup and when selected, to go to another window which will show me the ChoiceGroup).
    I also thought about putting a textfield and the user could type an integer and the specified index typed will be selected in the ChoiceGroup-this is possible because the choices themselvs have a code, the same withe their position . But, how can I put a focus on a certain line in the screen(to show the user the result).
    Or, how can I scroll more than one line one time?

Why wouldn't you separate your long list on several screens. If choices can be group by alphabet, you can also create some index screen for them where user can choose letter sets (like "A-C", "D-G",...) or enter first 2-3 letters in a text field?

Regular Contributor
    I "solved" the proble by putting a textfield and the user types the code(index) of the choice and that is selected.

Though , I'm curious, how can I navigate through screens starting from a Form (that holds one of the choicegroup) ?
    What event should get me to another screen?

Now, I have another problem: I try to put an alert in

itemStateChanged(Item item) method; when the method is called by an event on a choicegroup (the user selected something), the alert appears. BUT, if the method is called when the user modifies a textfield it dosen't ! I'm working with Nokia 7210 emulator and when a user wants to write something in a textfield onother window opens and after editing the user presses Ok to return to the Screen with the textfield. I guess this is why the Alert won't appear (or appears only for a very short time just after the the user pressed Ok and then it is replaced by the screen containing the textfield).

How can I make an alert appear after the user modified the textfield?