Discussion Board

License terms Multimedia Converter?

Hi,

I would like to build an application incorporating the 3gp-engine of the console version of Multimedia Converter. In the PDF of the Multimedia Converter, I read: "The tool also includes a console version, which enables developers to integrate the conversion to their system and convert the content on the fly", suggesting I can use this tool in an end user product.

But in the License Agreement it says: "no copying, distributing etc. allowed"

I'm a bit confused here. Can or can't I use this tool in my application? Are there additional licensing terms?

any help appreciated.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

Nokia owns the IPR's for the software, you can't bundel it in to your application. There are two solutions, you create your own converter codec-encoder or as your clients to download the Nokia converter that your clients are free to use.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

I can't ask clients (consumer end-users) to download the app because it is available in the developers section only. So I'm forced to write a 3gp engine from te bottom-up? Or is there source code, API's or example code available for AVI/MPG > 3GP conversions ?
    Last edited by invaders; 2003-09-01 at 15:07.

License/Help!

Invaders, it would seem like your best bet would be to pay for a license for the program. Auvinent - can you provide a contact for this? Also, the Nokia team takes weeks to answer posts here. Not good if you actually expect people to code for your products. If you have a second, could you respond to the two posts I have in video and audio? More important, if you don't know the answers, don't ignore the posts, maybe a reference to another source would be helpful... Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert
    Dear invaders,

Im sorry but Nokia won't licence this software for external parties. There are some open source projects around the 3GP format, one to mention would be Mplayer.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello tdugan!

This forum is meant for developer discussions, not as a You ask - Nokia answers.

We have a fee based professional support available for developers that requires fast and accurate responses.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

WHAT!?

Auvinent, first of all I do appreciate the help the Nokia team offers here - but look around! The only people who appear to be offering comments and help in these threads over the past month are yours truly and Nokia employees! As far as paid help? Who benefits when information about bringing Nokia phones beyond existing limits is shared with everyone here? That's right - ALL the developers on this board and eventually ***NOKIA*** and its customers as our products start to rollout. Let's face it the more products that work with Nokia phones, the more phones Nokia is likely to sell.

Now, if you are going to charge for higher levels of developer support - OK - that is valid - but I sure wish you would have mentioned this with my first posts here. For what it's worth though, aren't you shooting yourself in the foot? Assuming that isn't important to Nokia - please let me know what the costs are, where I can sign up and exactly what the benefits and levels of support are - thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Tdugan:

Here you can find more information about fee-based professional support.

I hear what you're saying. Developers are extremely important thing in this industry and we are doing as much as we can to help you. But, we also have limited resources, including time and people. Fee-based support is of course our first priority and we have 24/5 commitment for that. This along with other duties we have takes most of our time. And we are still trying to make some time to answer questions in here.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Enstedt, thanks your help has been invaluable (I hope I get to buy you that beer in NYC!). My presentation is later today so I will be leaving this board. If they go with my product, I will return as a paying member. The fee of $432.75 seems fair for direct answers over a thirty day time period, but beyond that, your "Solved Cases" looks like a very good resource! One thing you might add is thirty days and X number of bonus questions (1, 2, 3 - whatever) with no time limit in case something goes wrong beyond the time limit and you don't need another full month of support.