Discussion Board

Connectivity problems on D211 related to MMS settings in phone

I have encountered a very strange problem.
    I have two sim cards, 1 master and 1 slave. I use the slave card for my cardphone. When i have MMS settings enabled in my phone with the master card i can't connect using GPRS with the D211 with the slave card. As soon as i remove the MMS setting in the phone it works again. It the same problem for several collegues on both Win2k and WinXp. Switching the 2 sim cards make no difference.

When i insert the card everything looks ok and i get "ready to activate GPRS" and also the name of my provider. I connect and just after it say's "registering your computer on the network" i get "Error 734: The PPP link protocol was terminated"

I have reported this to my supplier, Telia/Sonera, but they say that the problem is related to the card and not to the suppliers settings.
    So my question is if anyone else has seen this with any other supplier ot has a solution for the problem.

Facing the same problem

Im facing the same problem. i dont know why with my Carrier MTC/Vodafone.

i think its not the card because the problem was reported more than one time is diffrent locations.

-Khaled

Regular Contributor
    Hello,

This was an interesting (and a complex) one! We think that this seems to be network problem even your operator said it´s not.

This is only our guestimation and speculation.

So the case went like this: If you have 2 SIM card´s with same number (master and slave cards), and you´re using slave all the time in Nokia D211, and you enable MMS from other phone with master sim, connection with Nokia D211 cannot be enabled.

We think that when MMS is enabled, phone creates a active GPRS contex, and when trying to create a another contex at same time with that slave sim and Nokia D211 this is not allowed by network.

You shold ask previous from your operator tecnical helpdesk and ask if it should still work!

You can also check witch contex Nokia D211 is creating (no 1,2,3,...). This can be checked with AT commands descriptions (AT+CGDCONT and ATDT*99#). Other contex number can be tried. Maybe D211 modems extra settings must be edited and own dial-up created.

BR,

Nokia D211 Support

After talking to severtal support people at the supplier i got a solution for the problem. The solution is to manually specify the GPRS gateway in the Nokia software. After this it works.
    Also even when using the master sim, with the phone turned off, it doesn't work without using a manually specified GPRS gateway.