Discussion Board

Thread: Data Processing

Data Processing

Hello,

I am an absolute beginner of application development. I would like to ask the following questions:

1. How can the data be read from the port of Nokia mobile phone, say 7210?

2. If the data can be extracted, would it further be able to performance data processing with the application developed by users? If yes, how can it be achieved?

Thanks!

Super Contributor
    1. No.
    2. What kind of processing do you have in mind?

shmoove

In my mind, I would like to transfer data to the moblie phone from an external device, then compress the data and send it out. Is it possbile to do that? If yes, which Nokia phone models can achieve this function. Thanks!

Super Contributor
    There is no Nokia currently out that supports transferring data by serial communications. The 6600 will have a BlueTooth API that will enable functionality like that.
    Compressing the data is definitely possible. You are probably going to have to write your own compression algorithms though.
    Sending the data out is possible. It depends on how you want to send this data. If you were planning on sending it through serial comms, then again you'll have to wait for the 6600 (or look for some other vendor's phone that has this ability). But you can use http on all phones, and sms on a few.

Thanks for your answers, shmoove.

How about making use of the cable DKU-5 for data transmission which is connected to an external device? Does it work??

Also, in what way I can access the port of the phone in order to get the data?

Super Contributor
    None of what you are asking is possible with J2ME. Sorry.

shmoove

So, are there any alternatives to achieve what I have mentioned before?