Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Contributor
    Hi Futhark,

Following the example from specification OMA-WAP-ProvCont, if I run the WBXML thru HashCalc, the MAC code generated is not the same as that in OMA-WAP-ProvCont. I also entered the PIN 1234 and checked SHA-1 for MAC generation.

Then I found out from OMA-WAP-ProvCont that the generated MAC has to go thru some forumla. If you read OMA-WAP-ProvCont, it will refers you to the formula in another WAP specification.

By the way, do you know whether the XML example for SyncML setup mentioned in "OMA Client provisioning for Series 40" (which can be found in Forum Nokia) is correct?

I copied the SyncML provisioning message and sent it to the handphone. Although the phone can receive and save the settings, the SyncML settings are not stored in the phone.

Do you have any SyncML setup XML example?

I am only using the information about the MAC value from the OMA specification ProvCont, and if I follow that specification I get the same MAC value as in example 1.

No, I don't have a SyncXML setup.

regards,
    /f.

Regular Contributor
    Hi Futhark,

When I run HashCalc on WBXML file, the SHA-1 from HashCalc is "0bb3bb551 ....... e4a617489" but if I look at the example from OMA-WAP-ProvCont on page 75, it said MAC is "30424233......37343839".

It seems that "0-9" is transformed to "30-39" and "A-F" is transformed to "41-46". It does not correspond to the formula (MOD 10 + 48).

NOTE: "0bb3bb ...." is transformed to "304242304243...."

The formula can be found in OMA-WAP-ProvBoot-v1_1-2002112-C on pg 12.

Also, in OMA-WAP-ProvCont on pg 16, "The calculation of the MAC is defined in other provisioning speficiations, such as ... [PROVBOOT]".

Found a typo error in Example 1 of ProvCont. The problem why "1234" didn't work for me.

Pg 42: <parm name="PXAUTH-PW" value="pxuserpassw"/>
    Pg 76: PXAUTH-PW ... value "pxuserpasswd". "d" is missing.

If you copy the XML example, gen WBXML and then generate the MAC code, pin "1234" will fail. But if you input the binary from pg 75 onwards, pin "1234" will work.

>>NOTE: "0bb3bb ...." is transformed to "304242304243...."

In ProvCont, it is stated that the MAC value should be entered as a hexadecimal string so this is correct. My advise is for you to forget about the (MOD 10 + 48) statement and concentrate on how the MAC value should be entered. You have already calculated the MAC value, and it is the correct one if you use the correct wbxml input.

regards,
    f.

Regular Contributor
    Hi Futhark,

Can you tell me where in the specification did it mention that MAC value should be entered as a hex string? Which page in the spec I mean.

Thanks again.

Hi koayst

In Section 4.3, Media type parameter. Page 16; OMA-WAP-ProvCont-v1_1-20021112-C, Version 12-Nov 2002.

MAC:
    This parameter contains an even number of upper case hexadecimal digits.

regards,
    f.

Hi Futhark, Koayst,

I am attempting to configure the 5100 ota as well. I can configure another manufactuers device with USERPIN but the 5100 ignores the message (does not display "service settings received"). Do you know if all software versions of the 5100 support WAP provisioning. The 5100 I have uses V 3.02 13-12-02 NPM-6. I used the example message in OMA-WAP-ProvCont.

We are using the standard java methods from sun to calculate the mac (in package javax.crypto)

Hi seancronin

>>V 3.02 13-12-02 NPM-6.

I think you are using a standard 5100 handset i.e. a WAP 1.2.1
    but not WAP 2.0 handset. It will accept standard Nokia OTA settings, but not WAP 2.0 OMA settings. At least if it is manufactured on 13-12-02 it looks suspicous. Try to access a xhtml page, and see if it loads. If it does it has a TCP/IP stack, otherwise it is using the WAP 1.2.1 stacks.

I am using the following version (with a TCP/IP stack)

V X3.04
    04-04-03
    NPM-6X

and it happily accept the OMA settings.

regards,
    f.

Thanks futhark,

this looks like the problem. I shall get the device upgraded.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Hello,
    as I opened this thread,
    I will like to say that finally the extra 01 is typo.

Sending the original document gives an error.
    Sending the document without the extra 02, the settings are received ok.

Also, I think it will be good to create a forum for OMA relating messages.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

Please note that there are two variants of Nokia 5100 at the market. One is for Europe/Africa/Asia area that runs with WAP stack and the other is US version that runs with XHTML stack.

Only the US version has Client Provisioning implemented.

Teemu / Forum Nokia