Discussion Board

Establishing Bluetooth Connection via Java

I have got a Nokia7650 an want to shutdown my PC (Win XP) via a Java Bluetooth Application (some kind of remote call or client- server prog...don't know yet).

The problem is that I don't know if a Java Bluetooth connection can be established at all!? Does the Symbian OS have a Java Bluetooh API ? I downoaded the JSR-82 additional libs an the OSGI implementation...will it work with these?

Thx 4 ur help

Sk8St4r

Super Contributor
    The Symbian does have Bluetooth APIs, but unfortunately not for Java. You have to use C++ in order to access them.
    Using C++ I'm sure that the application you have in mind is possible (with a component on the PC that listens to the commands sent from the phone).

shmoove

mhmmmm okay...thanx for ur help
    i would prefer to write it in java cos i am more used to it...but well.... C++?
    i give it a try

Super Contributor
    If you really want to use Java and you are in no hurry then you can also wait for the 6600 to come out, and get one of those. It's supposed to have a Java Bluetooth API.

Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.3.1, Nokia Edition

I believe this SDK has already got the Java API for bluetooth included: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-243,00.html

Maybe you'd like to check it out.

thanks...i will check it out