Discussion Board

Create streaming applications

I'm trying to develop a streaming solution with an own streaming server and player but it seems to me that this is not possible because of the rare information about this and the licensing stuff for CoDecs and file formats. The PDFs on the nokia forum show some nice drawings of how a streaming solution could work but they always refer to 3rd party content creation tools like real producer. All I got to work is to play a movie created with the nokia multimedia converter on my 3650 - sending self-encoded video (mpeg4 or h.263) leads to nothing! I'm really frustrated about that because in docs like that from the j2me MMAPI you can read that video streaming is as easy as simply putting some video data into a byte-stream and start the player. So what possibilities does a developer have to create, stream and view multimedia contents for mobiles by himself and NOT by buying some existing streaming server from another company?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

Only way to stream video or audio content is to use RealOne player in Nokia 3650 and Nokia 6600.

Have a look to following thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...threadid=22858

At this point Nokia does not offer any tools other than the static clip converter called "Multimedia converter".

Teemu / Forum Nokia
    Last edited by auvinent; 2003-09-11 at 02:15.

So how do the people from http://www.oplayo.com do streaming then? I also read about a java player being developed by them but I really wonder how that can be possible because afaik rtsp is based on the udp protocol which is not implemented by most MIDP-1.0 phones. I also wonder why the mmapi documentations state that streaming would be possible - even by using URIs like "rt(s)p://serverort/file". I tested this with no success. So does this all mean, that I have to contact RealNetworks and ask them for something like an SDK for my project - which they'll sure not give out? All this is very important for me because I have to develop a live-streaming-solution for my Company and the deadline is around end of September 2003.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

You need to ask Oplayo how thay have made their software. Nokia devices comes out with only one player, that is RealOne player.

Teemu / Forum Nokia