Discussion Board

Super Contributor

could not create the java virtual machine

I have installed Nokia 9200 Communicator SDK (1.1) on both NT4.0 and Windows 2000. Whenever I run the emulator and attempt to execute either my own Hello program or the BlackBook example from the SDK, I get the error message

displayed soon after the splash popup "starting...". I have tried a number of different ways of executing the emulator with the same results. I have reviewed discussion items 493-j, 408-j, 382-j, and 300-j and while these contain helpful suggestions, none seem to fix the problem. If I had a clue what causes the somewhat generic message

then I might be able to fix my configurations. pjava, when executed with the -v switch, shows that it is finding all classes up to the point where the java application is selected; then, nothing more is displayed.

As a number of people have had this difficulty, it might be useful to have a definitive explanantion of what causes this symptom.

Jim Welch

Posted by Jim Welch, jimwelch@hotmail.com
    on February 14, 2002 at 05:37

Super Contributor

RE: could not create the java virtual machine

Posted by Forum Nokia Developer Support, communicator.developer@nokia.com
    on February 14, 2002 at 17:44

Hi,

There is many possible reasons to the problem of yours. What is the value of your EPOCROOT variable? It should be something like EPOCROOT=\Symbian\6.0\NokiaJava
    Do you have correctly installed JRE 1.2, which is included in the SDK CD-ROM? When you are trying to launch Java application in the emulator, you could run first the Redirect app to catch the possible error messages. You can find the Redirect app from the SDK CD-ROM.

Hopefully you get the emulator working.

Regards,
    Forum Nokia Developer Support

Super Contributor

Posted by Jim Welch, jimwelch@hotmail.com
    on February 14, 2002 at 21:25

My installations used all the defaults, except I placed the directories on the D: disk, not the C: disk.
    The JRE works in that it executes the quickstart Hello program as expected.
    The EPOCROOT variable is identical to yours. The simulated J disk is set to the erj directory in the sdk and appears as expected using the File Manager.
    Starting Redirect ahead of time accomplished nothing since nothing was displayed.

Hopefully, this cut down the "many possible reasons".
    o What dlls/exes are being loaded?
    o How should the path be extended by the installation?
    o Can you install on other disks besides the C disk?

Could this have something to do with Pentium 4 systems ? We installed a Nokia SDK and the JRE 1.2 that came with it and it crashed when we typed java from a command prompt - then we installed JRE1.2.2-012 (update from java.sun.com) and we had less problems both on WinNT and Win2000, but still it says "cannot create virtual machine".

Hopefully you are as eager as I am to get this problem solved. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Rene Heuven
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com