Discussion Board

Not able to connect to external server using RAS

Hi,

I am using the Sockets example provided in the SDK as a client to connect to the external server. I enabled the RAS also. But when I tried to connect, I am prompted twice to select the APs(Linux RAS/NT RAS). Even after selecting the NT RAS I am not able to connect. It says DNS Lookup failed. I searched in the forum also but couldnt find the proper answer. Can anyone please help me out.

Thanks,

Regular Contributor
    hi Reshma,

Are you using S60 sdk?
    Have you checked you RAS setup on windows using direct connection?
    My guess is while DNS search you see APN dialog and once that fails you might still be trying to create socket connection which causes APN dialog to come up again.

regards,
    -nitin

Hi Nitin,

Yes I am using Series 60 SDK and I checked for Direct connection too. Its fine. How do I go about now?

Thanks,
    Reshma

Regular Contributor
    i posted this one before: instead of using RAS, i prefer to use winsock2 on the emulator and use the series 60 api on the target. check out this one:

http://www.berlinfactor.com/Symbian....ketEngine.html

this way you can avoid some subtleties with the symbian apis and still have testable code on the emulator and the phone..

(check out the EssentialsDll project on my page on how to build this stuff on win32 and on the target..)

regards,

tfdj