Discussion Board

Unable to identify a partcular client mobile by server

Developing a Chat MIDlet using MIDP 2.0
    using HttpConnection post Method

ChatMIDlet(client) places a request to server(servlet) and getting response works fine

problem: The server cannot identify a particular client mobile to send a message using httpConnection

or the problem can be solved by any other connection

help me in this regard to solve the problem
    bye

This would mean that the mobile client would have to act as a server, wouldn't it? I'm not completely sure, but isn't that impossible since mobile devices can't be located from the web? If it was possible, the mobile device would have to have a global address...

Anyways, an interesting question. Hopefully someone enlightens us more about the problem...

practical difficulties while implementing as a server

Thank for ur answer
    i got this idea that the client must act as a server to receive the Message

u are speaking about the Global Id why cannt we have the Mobile Number to identify...

if u have more ideas regarding the idea please share with me
    Bye
    Last edited by albertjohn; 2003-09-19 at 16:56.

You can use the phone number only to make phone calls, send SMS, etc, but making a dataconnection using a phone number simply does not work. HTTP, TCP, UDP etc work using IP-addresses. And, how would you know which port to listen in the mobile device, and how would the operator know whom to bill for the usage of their network?

One way to send the message to a mobile device using the phone number could be using SMS. It would naturally be costly and you'd need extra hardware on the server side to accomplish this.

i agree

ok
    can i try this way

the server updates the message for the client in database, while client is responding the message can be flushed out and client wants to run a non terminated thread until application closes so that it can receive the incoming data.

i think theres a solution if we find that how messenger runs, as it updates for each second in the network...

bye

is there any one facing the problem...
    Last edited by albertjohn; 2003-09-19 at 20:20.

Re: Unable to identify a partcular client mobile by server

Another solution would be to use WAP-push technology. This is the usual way to wake up an web-based application embedded in a device ...

Bye