Discussion Board

6310 installing a midlet

Hi

How do I install a midlet I've created? There is no Application installer shipped with the device as noted in the manual.

If the midlet has to be downloaded from a web site how is that achieved?

Thanks

Phill

RE: 6310 installing a midlet

Hi. I have also recently purchased the Nokia 6310i, and the software included with the phone (Nokia PC Suite 4.80) does NOT support uploading applications (explained here http://www.nokia.com/phones/6310i/acc_pc.html ). I therefor did some research on the internet (Hurray internet!) and discovered that the only way of uploading applications right now, is by using the WAP function in the phone. By using WAP, I have successfully downloaded some java midlets found on the net (www.midlet.org .Use www.midlet.org/wap in the bookmark section of the phone). Sadly I have discovered that a lot of applets aren't compatible with the phone (even if they are stated as "Midp" compatible), and I hope that this is due to bad programming, and not the phone. Using WAP as a way of uploading applications is rather expensive and often you download an application just to discover that it does not work on the 6310i, so I hope that NOKIA will speed things up a little and deliver the tools enabling us to fully use this expensive little phone as intended.

RE: 6310 installing a midlet

Hi,

Over to Air using WAP is one way to install MIDlets to the Nokia 6310i before the application installer is available. The other way is to download the Nokia Developer?s Suite for J2ME from Forum Nokia website. Go forum.Nokia.com -> Tools & SDKs -> Nokia Developer's Suite Beta 0.3 for the Java(TM) 2 Platform, Micro Edition. The can be downloaded and it is free. You can install this software integrated with JBuilder 5 /6 or Sun Forte 3.0 /4.0 or you can use it stand-alone. The software provides total J2ME programming environment with emulator and it also provides possibility to transfer MIDlets to the Nokia 6310i handset via data cable or infrared. This feature is called ?Deployment?.

regards,

Petri/Forum Nokia