Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Audio Steaming via Xhtml page

Hi, I have tried links to 3 different audio file types(.mp3, .amr and .rm) on a XHTML page. Many of the phones we test w/ try to completely download the files and then you have the option to play. I have tried different mime types (audio/x-mp3, audio/x-rn-3gpp-amr, audio/x-pn-realaudio).

As mentioned, there is either a complete file download or a content not supported message. Can someone tell me where to start looking for the problem? Again, I need the audio to stream.

Also, I have tried the xhtml <object> for sound/audio, but that does not seem to be supported by any phones.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

You need to see the difference between following terms:

Download, stream and progressive download.

Download is an action when used downloads (and saves) the clip to the phone memory and THEN starts to play it. This is the most common way when using some XHTML page for example

Progressive download is not supported in Nokia phones, but this works in PC world. User starts to download the audio clip and before it's being fully downloaded to device play can be started, so the download and play are simultaneous.

Streaming means a situation that you have a constant LIVE stream like radio station and the content is being coded "on-fly" you keep receiving the live bit stream that does not have a beginning or an end.

In general only supported content types in Nokia devices are AMR, RM and WAV coded audio (pending on different terminal). So mp3 is out of the question.

Thanks auvinent, what we have is audio created by a text to speach engine. The creative people on the project want this audio to play as it's being downloaded (progressive dowload). Are you saying that this is not possible in any way?

I understand your definintion of streaming, but:
    a) is it supported by Nokia phones (I'm testing w/ a 3650)?
    b) is there a way to have our audio files streamed as if they were a live bit-stream and have them played in the RealPlayer?

Our application consists of JSPs and Servlets; customising the display per device (wml, xhtml+css, html) using user agent/rdf framework. Thank you

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

At this point none of our XHTML browsers are able to play audio content as a "embedded" to XHTML site. Only alternative is to download the clip and launch the RealOne player in S60 device.

a) Streaming is supported with RealOne playe, as it runs as a separate application, you can't add straminc content to XHTML page, as the RealOne has not been integrated to the browser.

b) Yes, you can store your content to Real Helix server.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Regular Contributor

Hello

Reading this post I'am getting the idea that for now, we can't add
    video/audio streaming functionality to a wml or xhtml page.

So this code (for example)
    <a href="rtsp:\\streamingserver.com\video.rm">Play</a>
    will not work ?

Best regards Jaak

Regular Contributor
    Hi Jaak,

Reading this post I'am getting the idea that for now, we can't add
    video/audio streaming functionality to a wml or xhtml page.

So this code (for example)
    <a href="rtsp:\\streamingserver.com\video.rm">Play</a>
    will not work ?
    Yes, you can add such link to xhtml-page and it will work. But, it is not an embedded object in the xhtml-page, but it opens the RealOne player to show the video stream.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Regular Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Best Regards
    Jaak

Not absolutely right eh!

Well i hardly think that you are 100% right.
    I have been testing now with the following phones: Nokia 6600, 3650, 7650 and Siemens SX1(Symbian)

The only phone that undestands links via RTSP:// is the 6600.
    The other phones fails when cliking a RTSP:// link.

They succeed when using HTTP:// but there is a very long delay before the streaming starts.
    I dont know if its an error in Symbian or an error in the realplayer, but one thing is for sure; When linking via HTTP:// there is a minutes-long delay.
    When linking via RTSP:// the phones fail, except Nokia 6600 which almost instantly starts the stream.

Lars, Denmark

Hi larsginge,

Do you ever test streaming service on Nokia 6600?

Can you give me your email or msn?

Thanks,

Services running

We have services running now with streaming via xhtml pages.
    We have a realserver running and a Darwin server.
    Personally i am not very happy wth the fact that Nokia uses the REALplayer which only supports streaming from a realserver.
    DARWIN is freeware and supports 3gp/rtsp etc. But the realplayer in my 6600 rejects it, while SonyE.'s Player accepts it and plays it. I hate these freeware clients that forces you to invest in a server like the realserver, when you can have freeware like Darwin that just runs great. When we can save money by not investing in servers, we can afford to develop much more fun stuff.

Why am i writig all this ?
    Guess i am just a little bit pissed on that RealPlayer and the expendsive real-server.
    I tried Helix-server which runs great with .rm files, but we want to have all our video-content as 3gp and thats not possible in Helix.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
    My N6600 is the first veersion that came on the EU market.

Lars
    lars[aaattt]mobilenation.dk

Hi,

Could anyone give me the information about "Nokia 6600 can not play streaming file on Darwin"?

I need the information.

.............> <..............I am very poor in English.

Thanks,

PS. It is very funny: apple use thee picture of Nokia 6600 to demo 3gpp solution.

http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/3gpp/
    Last edited by EricOffice; 2004-11-25 at 09:49.

N6600 Opera browser

Because if you us e the opera browser in N6600 it works from darwin.

Hi larsginge,

Can you tell more? I am very interesting in that?

Thanks,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Services running

Originally posted by larsginge
    We have services running now with streaming via xhtml pages.
    We have a realserver running and a Darwin server.
    Personally i am not very happy wth the fact that Nokia uses the REALplayer which only supports streaming from a realserver.
    DARWIN is freeware and supports 3gp/rtsp etc. But the realplayer in my 6600 rejects it, while SonyE.'s Player accepts it and plays it. I hate these freeware clients that forces you to invest in a server like the realserver, when you can have freeware like Darwin that just runs great. When we can save money by not investing in servers, we can afford to develop much more fun stuff.

Why am i writig all this ?
    Guess i am just a little bit pissed on that RealPlayer and the expendsive real-server.
    I tried Helix-server which runs great with .rm files, but we want to have all our video-content as 3gp and thats not possible in Helix.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
    My N6600 is the first veersion that came on the EU market.

Lars
    lars[aaattt]mobilenation.dk
    What's the version of the Darwin Streaming Server you're using?

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Hi enstedt,

Does Nokia make any limition on Nokia 6600?

I am confusing now.....I success serveal months ago, but I fail now.