Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Socket connection in S'pore

hi! i tried the sockets example on a 3650 and it shows CSocketsEngine Conn. Failed -33.

Is this due to the access point? i understand that i need to have internet GPRS to do a socket connection, i've called the service provider M1 and they only provide WAP GPRS. is this the main reason that i'm not able to get a connection?

is there any other methods of getting a socket connection to the server in s'pore?

I don't know about S'pore, but generally with a WAP access point, you can only establish a socket connection to the WAP gateway of your service provider. To establish socket connections elsewhere, you will need an internet access point. But it does not need to be GPRS, it can be (HS)CSD as well.

If you're writing both the client and the server yourself, you could redesign the system to work on WAP access points: Use the Symbian OS WAP stack on the client side and write the server side on top of HTTP.

Lauri

Regular Contributor
    Thank you for your reply.

I am able to get the connection now. I have to create a new access point and configure it with access point name: mobilenet and gateway IP: 0.0.0.0

whitemoon, how are you configuring your new access point ? what is the data carrier ? (HS)CSD ????
    I am also trying to achieve the same but cant

Regular Contributor
    I'm using GPRS connection.

If you are using M1, then on your mobile phone, add a new access point and configure it like below:

Data Bearer: GPRS
    AP Name: mobilenet
    Gateway IP: 0.0.0.0

If you are using Singtel, then use 'internet' as the access point name.

Hope this helps.

How do I setup a access point for dialing into my VPN ?
    Is that possible ?
    I have setup a AP with CSD & HSCSD with all the dial indetail for my VPN....but it doesnt go thru and authenticate me to connect to the VPN...any ideas ?
    TIA

Regular Contributor
    I'm not sure about dialing into VPN. If you are using Sockets then you need to use those access points. You need internet GPRS access point to get a socket connection. WAP GPRS access point won't work.

okay , thanks a lot for the information(s).
    I will try and post back if I find something.

ty.

Hi for m1 users or singtel once u edit the access point do u need to input username and password? i not very sure as i am a first time user on gprs.. and i need to do a socket connection could someone help me out wit this?

Regular Contributor
    nope. you don't need to enter the username and password.