Nokia D211
Firmware version: V 04.01 10-09-02 DTE-1 ? NMP.
SW version : 4.33
GSM and WLAN mode used only

Host computer:
Compaq EVO N620c with Windows 2000 SP3

Network operator
Vodafone Portugal

I¡¯m using D211 to send SMS and to receive data calls. I¡¯ve no problems with the data calls but I¡¯m with the SMS sending sometimes the SMS is not sent. The failure in not systematic as sometimes I can send a large number of SMS before on failure occurs also after the failure occur it may fail several times again but waiting long enough it will recover to the normal state that is send correctly the SMS. The network signal strength is at maximum level and I¡¯m not moving around with the Nokia D211.
I¡¯ve used four Nokia D211 and four SIM cards and the problem appears in all of them. Also testes in four computers, all equal.
When I¡¯m the situation that the sending of the SMS fails I have no problems in receiving SMS (with ¡°Nokia Short Messaging¡± of Nokia D211) and also have no problem with receiving data calls (tested with Hyperterminal that comes with Windows 2000). So I guess that is not a problem with network coverage.
I¡¯ve tested sending SMS with:

- ¡°Nokia Short Messaging¡± application - The messages appear in outbox with the state ¡°Failed¡±. The status toggles between ¡°sending¡± and ¡°waiting¡± several times before showing ¡°Failed¡±, it seems that there is a retry cycle here.
Please note that I¡¯m free translating to English ¡°outbox¡±, ¡°failed¡±, ¡°sending¡± and ¡°waiting¡± as I have the Portuguese version of the Nokia D211 software installed.
- AT command with Hyperterminal ¨C When the problem occurs the AT+CMGS.. fails with ¡°ERROR¡± as soon I hit the Return key.
Good sequence:
AT+cmgf=1 <Return> -> Set text mode
OK
AT+csca=¡±+351911616161¡± <Return> -> Set the SMSC number of Vodafone Portugal
OK
AT+cmgs=¡±<Destination Number>¡± <Return>
> <Msg to sent here><CTRL+Z><Esc Key>
OK -> The SMS is sent O.K.

Bad sequence:
AT+cmgf=1 <Return> -> Set text mode
OK
AT+csca=¡±+351911616161¡± <Return> -> Set the SMSC number of Vodafone Portugal
OK
AT+cmgs=¡±<Destination Number>¡± <Return>
ERROR -> Here the command fails and it is not possible to send SMS
- DLL that is used in VB scripts. The DLL was developed with Nokia D211 SDK Build 10. When I found the problem with the DLL I¡¯ve tested with ¡°Nokia Short Message¡± application and with AT commands direct to the comm. port and I found that also there where problems in sending SMS.
I¡¯m using Req_Sms_Send to send the SMS and if the return is different from IPC_STATUS_SUCCESS then there is a failure in sending SMS, there are no retry cycle implemented.

What can I do to resolve this problem? Is it possible to improve the SMS sending? I¡¯ve used the function SendSMS in SMS example of the SDK as the startup in my implementation in DLL.

Has anyone ever faced this problem?

Best Regard,
Jorge Carreira
Quadriga ¨C Lisboa, Portugal