Discussion Board

Controlling 3650 with a PC keyboard

Hi,

I've developed an easy application to full control de phone with a PC keyboard via BT wireless technology. I can map the whole phone keypad with a key on the PC.
    Then, in the phone there is a Symbian application that acts as a "driver" that receives the data (through BT) from the keyboard, and depending on what key receives, it generates an event with Symbian function
    TInt SendEventToWindowGroup(TInt aIdentifier, const TWsEvent& aEvent);
    to the current window that has the focus.

I can navigate through the phone pressing keys on the PC, and I can control any kind of phone application. I can also control my MIDlets (notepad or sms I did), but now I am developing a MIDlet draw application, with low-level api, using

public void keyPressed(int keyCode)
    {
    switch (keyCode)
    {
    case Canvas.KEY_NUM2:
    //do something...
    case Canvas.KEY_NUM4:
    //do something...
    }
    }

Then, when I run the application the remote keyboard only can control the High-level components of the MIDlet, it is, the LSK and RSK and navigate across the options displayed, but I can't control the drawing cursor in the midlet of the canvas display. It seems that the Symbian Event does not arrives at Canvas class.

Do you know how the low-level events are handled? Is there a way to simulate this events? Any idea about how I should generate this events in order to the KeyPressed(keycode) function detects them?

Thanks for any idea!

btnokdev

Nokia Developer Expert
    Have you tried with these gameActions?

switch (getGameAction(keyCode)) {

case UP:

break;

case DOWN:

break;

case LEFT:

break;

case RIGHT:

break;
    case FIRE:

actionPerformed();

break;

}

Hi jalev,

yes, it was my first attemps..., but when I saw that this had no success, then I changed to KEY_NUMx and tried again.
    But again it didn't work...

It is a pitty because it seems that J2ME low-level applications on the phone are the only ones I can't control with my PC, the others it's possible. I can write fast notes, or play with using the PC keyboard.

If you have any idea of what can I do to avoid this, I would be very grateful for your help.
    Thanks!

Hi

How could you control N3650 by PC keyboard?

Could you please send me the source, buddy?

My email: askoliver@hotmail.com

I will pray on my knees to you if you can send me this code.

I will pray on my knees to you if you can send me this code.

For you to understand my situation.. I work for a company where I have to key in daily status of upto 100 different employees who work under me. The company gave us a sim where it has an application. I have to select the application and it asks my userid and password and I have to key in upto 4 different numbers in several windows and select a submit button where the data is sent to my company. I have boy(helper) who does it for salary, but he keys in atleast 5-10 mistakes everyday. I loose salary and give incorrect data. This data is in my PC. If I can select the menu automatically and keyin the data automatically, I really cannot believe what a huge help you will have done to me.

I programmed SDK 40 to send and receive SMS thru vb.net which means I can program. Is the application finally sending an SMS to the company, I do not know. If so, will the data be encrypted before sending? If so, can I read the application by reverse engineering to use the same encrypt function and send my data by SMS?

Thank you in anticipation. It will really help me a lot.

My EMAIL: ravi@aarvy.com

Thank you.

Re: I will pray on my knees to you if you can send me this code.

hi to all i m newble in all i want to know that can i Simulate key press in game application

i read from some posts that in game application CdirectScreenAccess is used and SendKey and SimulateKey method is used in case of WindowServer

so please reply me soon its very criticle for me......

thanks in advance

Re: Controlling 3650 with a PC keyboard

Hello everybody,
    I am a student and doing my master thesis and totally new to this programming.
    i want to also try to control the key pad from pc. Can anybody you please help me with the code to control the keypad from pc maybe using BT ot usb. Please that is a blocking issue for me and i would be very thankful to you guys.
    thanks in advance
    my email: sandeepmakhijani@yahoo.co.in

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Controlling 3650 with a PC keyboard

what i suggest, btnokdev, is that you don't make the comparison with the pre-defined keys.
    You should be able to know the keys you press, either from your pc app, or from a simple screen displaying the code each time a key is pressed