Discussion Board

Installing application via a Flash card

Hi,

Is this possible to have my application on a flash card and do the phone to perform an automatic installation when the card is inserted into it.
    Thanks in advance for your answers

S¨¦bastien.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

Simple answer: No,

Simply because how would the phone know to run anything from the MMC card automatically ? You could put it there and then use one of the filebrowser apps to find & run the file.

yucca

Hi Yucca,

The problem is that on some phones there is no file browser installed by default, and for a commercial launch, we need an automatical installation (the common user is not supposed to install a file browser on his phone).
    In some post of the forum, people talk about an /sys/apps folder on the flashcard used and checked by the phone to know if there is a .sis to install. But if you tell me that it's not possible ....

Regards.
    S¨¦bastien.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    so far I haven't heard of such methods, but to be honest it doesn't mean that it is impossible.

In case somebody knows how to do this, I hope thei'll write a post here and explain it, might be really usefull sometimes.

yucca

To be able to start installation automaticly from a memory card you have one option as I see it, to develop a recognizer that start up the .sis file as a document.

I developed one for a project that I was involved in. It's not hard to do but it's not very documented how to do it. I have sourcecode that I wrote to Nokia 9210 if anyone are interested.

With best regards Niklas Sjögren

.: Niklas Sjögren :.

Cheif Technical Manager

E-Mail : niklas.sjogren@moondust-studios.com
    Mobile: +46 - (0) 733 - 54 93 60