Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Set automatically pin code for an incoming connection in Bluetooth.

Hi everibody,

Does anybody know how to accept automaticaly an incoming connection when authentication is enabled?

I'm using a 7650 phone and the user has to introduce a pin code if there is the first time the two devices make a connection (there is no link key stored).

I want to do it by software because the pin is going to be the same for the aplication in each mobile phone.

Thanks in advance.

In Symbian Os ,you can use functions in class "TBTServiceSecurity"
    to set the security level when you construct your CObexServer.
    if you do these:
    serviceSecurity.SetAuthentication(EFalse);
    serviceSecurity.SetEncryption(EFalse);
    serviceSecurity.SetAuthorisation(EFalse);

I think the program can accept an incoming connection without any confirm dialog.
    But about the pin cod ,maybe you can make some functions to get it

Regular Contributor

And what about if I need Security?

That is a option, but I don't want anybody connecting to my system. I need Authentication and Encryption, but I don't want the user typing the PIN, because the aplication knows already it and it can be sent automatically.

Thanks anyway.

Hi

I think that you should do it just like what the mobile does when the authentication is enabled by yourself in program.
    You can control the connection and show the confirm dialog,then make connection between two mobiles without using pin code, or send your pin code between mobiles for confirmation by your program before make connection.

and sorry for my poor english

Regular Contributor

Thanks

Don't worry, mine is as poor as yours.

I didn't start coding yet, but the problem seems to be the security manager. It starts automatically when you activate a service, and if authentication is enabled it shows a message dialog asking for the PIN code.

Thanks for your help

Did you find the solution to configure security manager and avoid the PIN prompt? Please let me know if you are successful. I also want my application to provide the PIN automatically. I am unable to find a way out. Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Ayesh

Regular Contributor
    Hi there,

I didn't find a way to disable the prompt asking for the PIN code.
    The only way I found is to make a new server without any security and then exchanging a PIN inside my application.

Bye

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt understand it completely. What do you mean by "making a new server" How did you exchange the PIN in your solution? Still manually or programmatically? Sorry if I am missing something silly, but I am relatively new to this world.

On a other thought, is it possible to programmatically configure a "default pass key" ? which the bluetooth security manager could directly use and respond pairing request? I have seen such things available on bluetooth laptops. Is it possible to do this on Series 60?

One more thought: Is it possible to configure the baseband security and automatically pass the link key?

Sorry for too many questions. I am exploring various possibilities. Hope it trigger thoughts and helps folks on this forum.

Thanks,
    -Ayesh

Regular Contributor
    Hi Ayesh,

I'm not using Obex profile, but you could use it. What I mean by a new server is to create a new channel of comms, so when you send information to a mobile, it receives it through that server (it doesn't go to the inbox). At this point you can disable authentication and authorisation and make it by yourself (I mean a little protocol to do that).

I hope it helps,
    Bye.

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply. So looks like in you implementation you just exchanged some PIN by establishing your own channel of communication and protocol. At the end of the PIN exchange, you did NOT establish the "bluetooth pairing" between the two device. Is that right?

Thanks,
    -Ayesh

Regular Contributor
    What do you mean with 'pairing'? There is a connection between them and you can send data from each other.

Bye

Thanks for your reply. Let me try to explain it better.

When you manually perform the bluetooth pairing, say for Nokia 6600 with some other bluetooth device (say laptop), after manually entering the PIN on phone and laptop, the two devices are paired. The laptop's name would appear under Nokia 6600's menu "Connectivity" -> "Bluetooth" -> "Paired devices"

With your proposed solution, will the pairing be exactly the same as above?

Thanks a lot for the time you are taking to reply.

-Ayesh

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

No, the other device doesn't appear in that menu.

Bye

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm :-(

Do you have any thoughts on the kind of pairing I am trying to automate?

Thanks,
    -Ayesh

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

No, I don't. I know there is a BTServer (exe process) running in the phone, but there is no info about it. If you could connect to this server, probably you will be able to do such task.

Bye.