Discussion Board

Changeing application icon

Hi to all. Does somebody know how to use aif file correctly? I need just to change my application's icon.
    I am trying to do the following:
    1) Run AIF Builder and create mbm icon (with mask).
    2) Create *.aif file.
    3) Add to my pkg file string to place this pkg file into the same folder where my app file is.
    4) Create sis file.
    5) Install it

While installing system writes "Currupt" or something like "Wrong file".

Where I am wrong?

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

Are you sure it's you AIF file ? You could basically try using the same AIF in your emulator to try it out. Just copy-paste it to your applications folder in Z:-Drive.

Basically the important thing is that the AIF specifies the same UID as the application (application return UID, mmp file UID etc) and that the aif file has same name as the app file.

yucca

You're correct but I specify the same ID in AIF file as my application ID. And AIF file's name is the same as application's name. And it doesn't work

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Ok

Does you AIF & MMp file specify same UID and is the UID returned by the application class same as the UID in AIF & MMP files ?

Also are you sure your app file is right app, i.e. build for the target (armi / thumb) ?

yucca

Yes, all UIDs are the same. And this application is shurely built for ARMI becourse it works correctly at Nokia 3650. I want just to change it's icon.

By the way is there any method to change application's system header that is "printed" at the top of the screen while application is working? I mean to change it during program's work.

Regular Contributor
    I changed my app icon by just overwriting the 4 default icon files in the application's aif folder. Change your icons name to the same as the default icons, eg context_pane_icon.bmp. then run abld reallyclean and rebuild everything again.

i learnt this from one of yucca's earlier post, to change the app title in the program itself, u can use the following code:

CEikStatusPane* sp = iEikonEnv->AppUiFactory()->StatusPane();
    CAknTitlePane* title = static_cast<CAknTitlePane*>(sp->ControlL(TUid::Uid(EEikStatusPaneUidTitle)));
    title->SetTextL(_L("New Title"));

Sorry but I didn't understand. Could you write full sample of names changeing? AIF builder creates follwing BMPs :
    1)myappname_42x29i.bmp
    2)myappname_42x29m.bmp
    3)myappname_44x44i.bmp
    4)myappname_44x44m.bmp
    Also it creates one mbm file (from this bitmaps), one aif file and one rss file.
    What names should be changed?

Situation update: Now if I just place aif file into my applications folder - it works correctly and icon is that defined in aif file. But when I try to install it within INI packet, system writes "file corrupted". Isn't it strange?

Regular Contributor
    hi, replying to your earlier post. i don't know if this is the right way to do it, but i did it and it's working.

there's a aif folder in your application folder right? there are 4 icons inside. the jigsaw one (should be). just copy and paste your new icons there and overwrite them. use the same filename. then do abld reallyclean and then rebuild ur app again.

i didn't do anything to the mbm and rss file to get it working.

The feature is that my application doesn't have AIF folder because i made it by myself not based on any sample or other program. So I can't rename any files baecause I just don't have them. I tried to find any sample with AIF file or folder in Symbian C++ SDK but there are no such files there.
    I used AIF builder to create such AIF folder and to create AIF file and it works after being placed into my application's folder (at the phone). But I can't install it with whole application - system say "file curruption" (or something like that).

OK. Full informaton:
    1) rss file to create AIF:

#include <aiftool.rh>

//CHARACTER_SET UTF8

RESOURCE AIF_DATA
    {
    app_uid=0x101F402A;
    caption_list=
    {
    CAPTION { code=ELangEnglish;caption="barcoderec"; }
    };

num_icons=2;

//embeddability= KAppNotEmbeddable;
    //hidden=KAppNotHidden;
    //newfile= KAppDoesNotSupportNewFile;
    }

2) String in mmp file that runs aiftool while building:
    AIF barcoderec.aif ..\AIF\ barcoderec.rss c8 barcoderec_42x29i.bmp barcoderec_42x29m.bmp barcoderec_44x44i.bmp barcoderec_44x44m.bmp

3) string in pkg file that copies AIF to phone:
    "barcoderec.aif"-"!:system\apps\BarcodeRec\barcoderec.aif"

Why doesn't that work?

Ow! I am fool! I fogot just one slash in string 3. And all errors are going from that thing.
    Thanks for help.

Regular Contributor
    WARNING!!
    "... just copy and paste your new icons there and overwrite them. use the same filename. then do abld reallyclean and then rebuild ur app again..."

I have to really warn everbody to make abld reallyclean.
    I used it, but it killed my App.uid.cpp. So the UID's were lost. ALL!
    I had to program all new.
    What a waste of time...
    So be warned!

Christian