Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Discussion board user study

Hi,

we are currently conducting user study and collecting feedback about Forum Nokia Discussion Boards. Some of the active users will be invited to participate in study and therefore some of you may receive e-mail regarding this. Your feedback is appreciated but it is completely your own decision, if you want to answer to this e-mail.

Our apologies if this has caused some misunderstadings among you.

Kind regards,
    Forum Nokia Developer Support

My #1 request would be for Nokia to more actively participate in this forum, so that questions actually get answers, rather than have your developers guess for them.

Request #2 would be to create a "bug parade", java.sun.com style. (known bugs / work-arounds / fix-status / etc) Why do developers keep having to re-invent the same work-arounds, wasting hours of time that could have been spent on creating better apps. I've seen others suggest this before, but Nokia doesn't seem to get the message.

problem with nokia 3100 java game

i have a nokia 3100
    i have a problem with java game
    that i cann't download it
    such as game X-men2 some game
    i cann't download it
    but nokia 6100 can get it

so i can ask some one to help me

pls answer at akepol.rungrojjanalak@th.nestle.com

Regular Contributor

search failed

I tried to find some info about "close application" thru search. I have an error:
    Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/htdocs/forum/search.php on line 411

Feedback from xForcelet

You might want to consolidate a FAQ list to answer those most asking question with the proper answers.

It will be good for those beginner and reduce the traffics of the thread on the forum.

You might want to category the questions or issues in more detail categories such as telecom operator in different countries for example. Because I saw many questions on the GPRS connection on network sub-forum.

BTW is it possible for me to get those posts I had posted before?
    Do you have such functions? And if you have, how can I use it?

Last edited by xforcelet; 2003-12-15 at 07:46.

Hi,

I fully agree with niekvs - and vote 1) discussion 2)bug faq as the most important things Nokia could do to make this forum/site very useful.

With the bug/faq - allowing some easy way for forum users to actively post bugs, and workarounds to bugs - would ensure we didn't rely on Nokia to keep this updated.

Forum Nokia - just think how much this would reduce the amount of questions being asked - and would provide you with information for your release-notes/issues documents.

cheers

Niall/mobilewares
    www.mobilewares.net

yeah, again, i agree with niekvs. both suggestions are great ideas that would assist people greatly.

in regards to the bug faq, some kind of attatched publically viewable feedback form would be good. so that people who have found new work arounds or bugs could suggest them for addition to the faq.

A bug FAQ would be particularly useful if Nokia could also give us guidance on when its bugs will be fixed. While it is useful to know, eg, that Nokia ignored the whole part of the spec having to do with platform requests, it would be much more useful to know when they intend to fix it (or even that they intend to fix it -- Nokia hasn't even hinted that they intend to bother getting into compliance with the spec).

My company works with both Nokia and Motorola platforms, and while Nokia delivers better access to the device, it delivers no feedback or expectations for the future, whereas Motorola actually makes promises and answers questions about their (often depressingly inadequate) phones.
    --G

The sad thing is that even after so many people seem to agree on this, and a Nokia representative originally posted this question, nobody at Nokia seems to be interested in any of this anymore. I doubt they're even looking at this forum at all, let alone at the suggestions posted.

Nokia: WAKE UP, and respond. Please?

Regards,
    -- Niek

More information and interaction

I'd agree with the feelings on this topic. As software developers we are aware that there are bugs/shortcomings in any complex platform. What we need to know is

1. What are the known problems at each release
    2. If there is a work around - what is it.
    3. If it is due to be fixed - when

Provision of this sort of information would reduce the number of postings on the same topic on the discussion boards, andsave considerable time/frustration in diagnosing problems

Thanks

Neil.

More Nokia representatives her

I totally agree. We need some responses from Nokia technicians with indepth knowledge of the phones. I know they have to make money on support questions too, but that doesn't mean they should ignore the forums.

SE seems to have a much better practice at this. There seems to be representatives reading and answering. That takes A LOT of frustration out of developing for these extremely buggy phones. The complete silence is annoying the hell out of me.

Anders,

You've got to agree with everyone that nokia has got to show a little more intrest and answer the questions of those needing help.

tasala how many nokia experts are there browsing the site answering questions?

Law

I agree

Nokia should in its OWN INTEREST go more for heart and minds of developers. What pathetic micro-percentage of its annual revenue would it take to make developers love Nokia as a company and not just their phones.

Please nokia, give us the following:
    1. More interaction with nokia - this thread has not had any posts by nokia staff since it was started (about 4 months now and counting)
    2. A decent bugs and workaround lists. Considering that these bugs are firmware, and we can't count on them being fixed EVER (who in their right mind is going to buy an application that needs a firmware update to work?), nokia should atleast give us some info on our options for workarounds. There are some great ideas on this already in this thread.

Given at the rate at which both the hardware and software is moving, this developer discussion board is the right place to address both these issues, and make developer support as good as the phones!

Aaron
    www.spectrumwired.com

Super Contributor

More Participation

I realy appreciate this effort from your side.But there are some issues which i would like to come up with.
    First of all, the participation from Nokia's side should be more.Many a times it happens that lots of questions go unanswered.No one is able to answer those questions.If it happens 2-3 times with a certian user ,his faith in a forum goes.

secondly if the same question is being asked many a times, a list of common bugs and questions can be made and put online.This will reduce unnecessary burden and repetition.

Third is apart from it being only a question and answer type of forum, it can be more interactive where in people can post articles and Nokia can do tha same posting articles from technology perspective.

I think its too much for now from my side.

Thanks and regards
    Amit Agagrwal