Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Series 60 SDK Appwizard on windows xp

I just installed symbian series 60 sdk.I tried out AppWizard
    according to the guidelines.When I open a new, series 60 Appwizard v1.9 project in MS VC++ 6.0, I get an error after the final step saying your project cannot be added to the workspace.

I want to know if AppWizard works in Windows XP environment.
    Thanks

I've just come on here to ask the same question.

The error seems to be in the path, it's looking for the file in:

C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\epoc32\build\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\My Projects\HelloWorld\group\HelloWorld\wins\HelloWorld.dsw

Which is clearly wrong.

Unfortunately when I look in the directory:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\My Projects\HelloWorld\group\

There is no HelloWorld directory, so I can't even add the workspace to the project manually.

Can anybody help?

are u using Windows xp?

are u using windows xp?

Yeah, I'm using XP,

I've found a solution by searching this forum for the problem and piecing some ideas together:

You need to create your projects in the c:\symbian\6.1\series60\epoc32\build directory.

You need to have Perl installed (www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/)

I also copied the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin\mspdb60.dll file to my System32 directory.

One or a combination of these things seemed to do the trick.

thanks a million

I did everything u mentioned and my project was created in the workspace succesfully.Thanks a lot!

Location of projects

Hi..
    I created a build directory here
    C:\Projects\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\BUILD
    and pointed the location to this dir when creating new projject..

But a new project directory under build is created
    the entire path looks like this:
    C:\Projects\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\BUILD\PROJECTS\SYMBIAN\6.1\SERIES60\EPOC32\BUILD\POST4\GROUP\POST4\WINS

when I buld the project I get the warnings:

EDLL.LIB(UP_DLL.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB "edll.pdb" was not found with "\Projects\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\EDLL.LIB" or at "C:\Projects\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\POST4\edll.pdb"; linking obje
    ct as if no debug info
    if exist "\Projects\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\PROJECTS\SYMBIAN\6.1\SERIES60\EPOC32\BUILD\POST4\GROUP\POST4\WINS\UDEB\POST4.exp" del "\Projects\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\PROJECTS\SYMBIAN\6.1\SERIES60\EPOC32\BUILD\POST4\GROUP\POST4\WI
    NS\UDEB\POST4.exp"

POST4.APP - 0 error(s), 2 warning(s)

Any idea what the problem is..
    Which location do you point to when creating a new project.
    Thanks..

problem swith application wizard in MS XP

Yeah, I'm using XP,

I've found a solution by searching this forum for the problem and piecing some ideas together:

You need to create your projects in the c:\symbian\6.1\series60\epoc32\build directory.

You need to have Perl installed (www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/)

I also copied the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin\mspdb60.dll file to my System32 directory.

One or a combination of these things seemed to do the trick.

I've completed all the foll steps
    1.create your projects in the c:\symbian\6.1\series60\epoc32\build directory.
    2. need to have Perl installed (www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/)
    3. copied the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin\mspdb60.dll file to my System32 directory.

the workspace is still not created.

Hi,

I faced the same problem but then noticed the following in wizard_installation.txt:

3) Spesify project name and location, press OK.
    - project location can not have spaces
    - project location must be in same drive than Series 60 2.0 SDK for Symbian OS

Hi
    i also followed all the above steps and it still gives me the workspace not created error. does anyone know a way to fix this,
    thanks

I had the same problems but have got it working. As someone pointed out earlier, you can't have spaces in the project name.

My project name: hello

My project home: c:\ (just the base directory).

When you run the Series60 appwizard it creates c:\hello\inc
    c:\hello\src

c:\hello\grp

c:\hello\install

etc

but it creates the dsp/dsw files and other bits way down in the c:\symbian\epoc32 hierarchy.

I don't like this, but it works. Trouble is when backing the project up I have to remember to backup everything.

I didn't have to mess about with any DLLs.

I made sure I installed ActivePerl and the JRE first - had to hack the registry to make sure it saw the JRE was the right version.
    Have also added menu items to the Tools menu to do ARMI and THUMB builds, as well as a Make Sis file command (saves running DOS).

I think it's a bit of a shame that the appwizard is so tied into the directory locations. With a bit more work, Nokia could have made it location-independent - you can mess about with the contents of the makefile and the .dsp to be able to move files all into the same directory, but when you come to doing the ARMI or THUMB target builds it looks as if paths are hard-coded into stuff way down in the Perl code.

Simon

Still no luck

Hello,

I tried most of the tricks described on this thread but nothing seems to work. The appwizard creates the project dirs where I specify (like Incarnis described) but the dsp/dsw files fail to materialize anywhere (yes, I did create the BUILD dir in C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32).

However, my problem might be related to the tidbit that the SDK installed didn't find the 1.3.1 JRE and the ActivePerl I were installed at SDK install time. Incarnis, could you point me to the registry entries you edited? And just to make sure, you are on WinXP, right?

Registry changes

Hi hezamu

Yes - using Windows XP professional. I am using version 0.9 of the SDK but I have had version 2.0 working too.

Registry settings:

HKLM->Software->JavaSoft->Java Runtime Environment

There is a key in this hive which was called 1.3.1_09 in my system (because that was the version I installed).

The SDK seems to be looking specifically for 1.3. If you rename this registry key to 1.3, it finds the JRE.

Let me know how you get on.

Simon

It works! Kind of...

Hi,

Thanks Incarnis, I finally got it working, sort of. I renamed the registry key like you instructed, but I'm not sure if it had any effect - I reinstalled the SDK and it again complained that it couldn't find ActivePerl or the JRE. It does work, though.

I created the project in C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\BUILD and though it again complained it couldn't add the project from C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\BUILD\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\BUILD it did create all project files the in the BUILD dir so I was able to add the workspace to VS.

Note that I had to delete the supplied project name from the path manually after specifying the project name. If you tell the appwizard to create the project in the BUILD dir and then supply a name for the project it will automatically add the project name in the path and this results in the appwizard failing to create the workspace (at least it did for me).

So it works, I can compile it from the command line and it runs in the emulator.

However, I can't build it in VS. First it complains it can't find the project's own headers, and after I add BUILD\inc to the include path it gives me a few hundred errors like this:
    c:\symbian\7.0s\series60_v20\epoc32\include\e32std.h(751) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'TInt64'
    c:\symbian\7.0s\series60_v20\epoc32\include\e32std.h(751) : error C2501: 'IMPORT_C' : missing storage-class or type specifiers

Any ideas what include dirs I need to define, or other hoops I need to jump through? I already have %EPOCROOT%\EPOC32\BUILD\TSET\INC and %EPOCROOT%\EPOC32\INCLUDE defined.

Hmm, glad it works but I didn't have to change anything to get it to work in VC for me.

Here is a copy of a dsp file created on my system which builds in VC (project SAMPLE which I created in C: (as you say, the wizard adds 'sample' to the path - that's VC)

Note that I am building for 7650 so have 6.1 in my path, you will have to change to 7.0.
    ====
    # Microsoft Developer Studio Project File - Name="SAMPLE" - Package Owner=<4>
    # Microsoft Developer Studio Generated Build File, Format Version 6.00
    # ** DO NOT EDIT **

# TARGTYPE "Win32 (x86) Dynamic-Link Library" 0x0102

CFG=SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Debug
    !MESSAGE This is not a valid makefile. To build this project using NMAKE,
    !MESSAGE use the Export Makefile command and run
    !MESSAGE
    !MESSAGE NMAKE /f "SAMPLE.mak".
    !MESSAGE
    !MESSAGE You can specify a configuration when running NMAKE
    !MESSAGE by defining the macro CFG on the command line. For example:
    !MESSAGE
    !MESSAGE NMAKE /f "SAMPLE.mak" CFG="SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Debug"
    !MESSAGE
    !MESSAGE Possible choices for configuration are:
    !MESSAGE
    !MESSAGE "SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Release" (based on\
    "Win32 (x86) Dynamic-Link Library")
    !MESSAGE "SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Debug" (based on "Win32 (x86) Dynamic-Link Library")
    !MESSAGE

# Begin Project
    # PROP Scc_ProjName ""
    # PROP Scc_LocalPath ""
    CPP=cl.exe
    MTL=midl.exe
    RSC=rc.exe

!IF "$(CFG)" == "SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Debug"

# PROP BASE Use_MFC 0
    # PROP BASE Use_Debug_Libraries 1
    # PROP BASE Output_Dir ".\Win32_U0"
    # PROP BASE Intermediate_Dir ".\Win32_U0"
    # PROP Use_MFC 0
    # PROP Use_Debug_Libraries 1
    # PROP Output_Dir "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB"
    # PROP Intermediate_Dir "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\UDEB"
    # ADD CPP /nologo /Zp4 /MDd /W4 /Zi /Od /X /I "\SAMPLE\GROUP" /I "\SAMPLE\INC" /I "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\INCLUDE" /D "__SYMBIAN32__" /D "__VC32__" /D "__WINS__" /D "__AVKON_ELAF__" /D "__DLL__" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_UNICODE" /FR /Fd"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.PDB" /GF /c
    # ADD MTL /nologo /D "_DEBUG" /mktyplib203 /win32
    # ADD BASE RSC /l 0x809
    # ADD RSC /l 0x809 /d "_DEBUG"
    BSC32=bscmake.exe
    # ADD BSC32 /nologo
    LINK32=link.exe
    # ADD BASE LINK32 /machine:IX86
    # ADD LINK32 "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\EDLL.LIB" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\euser.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\apparc.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\cone.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\eikcore.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\eikcoctl.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\avkon.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\UDEB\SAMPLE.exp" /nologo /entry:"_E32Dll" /subsystem:windows /dll /pdb:"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.pdb" /debug /machine:IX86 /nodefaultlib /include:"?_E32Dll@@YGHPAXI0@Z" /out:"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.APP" /WARN:3
    # SUBTRACT LINK32 /pdb:none
    # Begin Special Build Tool
    SOURCE=$(InputPath)
    PreLink_Cmds=echo Doing first-stage link by name\
    nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE" PRELINKUDEB\
    if errorlevel 1 nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE" STOPLINKUDEB
    PostBuild_Cmds=nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE" POSTBUILDUDEB
    # End Special Build Tool

!ELSEIF "$(CFG)" == "SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Release"

# PROP BASE Use_MFC 0
    # PROP BASE Use_Debug_Libraries 0
    # PROP BASE Output_Dir ".\Win32_Un"
    # PROP BASE Intermediate_Dir ".\Win32_Un"
    # PROP Use_MFC 0
    # PROP Use_Debug_Libraries 0
    # PROP Output_Dir "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL"
    # PROP Intermediate_Dir "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\UREL"
    # ADD CPP /nologo /Zp4 /MD /W4 /O1 /Op /X /I "\SAMPLE\GROUP" /I "\SAMPLE\INC" /I "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\INCLUDE" /D "__SYMBIAN32__" /D "__VC32__" /D "__WINS__" /D "__AVKON_ELAF__" /D "__DLL__" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_UNICODE" /GF /c
    # ADD MTL /nologo /mktyplib203 /D /win32
    # ADD BASE RSC /l 0x809
    # ADD RSC /l 0x809 /d "NDEBUG"
    BSC32=bscmake.exe
    # ADD BSC32 /nologo
    LINK32=link.exe
    # ADD BASE LINK32 /machine:IX86
    # ADD LINK32 "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL\EDLL.LIB" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\euser.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\apparc.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\cone.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\eikcore.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\eikcoctl.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\avkon.lib" "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\UREL\SAMPLE.exp" /nologo /entry:"_E32Dll" /subsystem:windows /dll /machine:IX86 /nodefaultlib /include:"?_E32Dll@@YGHPAXI0@Z" /out:"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.APP" /WARN:3
    # Begin Special Build Tool
    SOURCE=$(InputPath)
    PreLink_Cmds=echo Doing first-stage link by name\
    nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE" PRELINKUREL\
    if errorlevel 1 nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE" STOPLINKUREL
    PostBuild_Cmds=nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE" POSTBUILDUREL
    # End Special Build Tool

!ENDIF

# Begin Target

# Name "SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Debug"
    # Name "SAMPLE - Win32 Uni Release"
    # Begin Group "Source Files"

# PROP Default_Filter "cpp;c;cxx;rc;def;r;odl;hpj;bat;for;f90"
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\SRC\..\data\SAMPLE.rss
    USERDEP__SAMPLE="\SAMPLE\INC\SAMPLE.HRH" "\SAMPLE\INC\SAMPLE.LOC"

# PROP Intermediate_Dir "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS"
    # Begin Custom Build - Building resources from ..\data\SAMPLE.rss
    InputPath=\SAMPLE\SRC\..\data\SAMPLE.rss

BuildCmds= \
    nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE"\
    "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.r"

"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.rSC.dummy" : $(SOURCE) "$(INTDIR)"\
    "$(OUTDIR)"
    $(BuildCmds)
    # End Custom Build

# PROP Intermediate_Dir "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS"
    # Begin Custom Build - Building resources from ..\data\SAMPLE.rss
    InputPath=\SAMPLE\SRC\..\data\SAMPLE.rss

BuildCmds= \
    nmake -nologo -f "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.SUP.MAKE"\
    "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.r"

"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE.rSC.dummy" : $(SOURCE) "$(INTDIR)"\
    "$(OUTDIR)"
    $(BuildCmds)
    # End Custom Build

!ENDIF

# End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\SRC\..\data\SAMPLE_caption.rss
    USERDEP__SAMPLE_CAPTION="\SAMPLE\INC\SAMPLE.LOC"

# Begin Custom Build - Building resources from ..\data\SAMPLE_caption.rss
    InputPath=\SAMPLE\SRC\..\data\SAMPLE_caption.rss

BuildCmds= \
    "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE_CAPTION.r"

"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE_CAPTION.rSC.dummy" : $(SOURCE) "$(INTDIR)"\
    "$(OUTDIR)"
    $(BuildCmds)
    # End Custom Build

# Begin Custom Build - Building resources from ..\data\SAMPLE_caption.rss
    InputPath=\SAMPLE\SRC\..\data\SAMPLE_caption.rss

BuildCmds= \
    "\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE_CAPTION.r"

"\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINS\UREL\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\SAMPLE\SAMPLE_CAPTION.rSC.dummy" : $(SOURCE) "$(INTDIR)"\
    "$(OUTDIR)"
    $(BuildCmds)
    # End Custom Build

!ENDIF

# End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\SRC\SAMPLEapp.cpp
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\SRC\SAMPLEappui.cpp
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\SRC\SAMPLEcontainer.cpp
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\SRC\SAMPLEdocument.cpp
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\Symbian\6.1\Series60\EPOC32\BUILD\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE\WINS\SAMPLE.uid.cpp
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\GROUP\SAMPLE.mmp
    # PROP Exclude_From_Build 1
    # End Source File
    # End Group
    # Begin Group "Resource Files"

# PROP Default_Filter "ico;cur;bmp;dlg;rc2;rct;bin;cnt;rtf;gif;jpg;jpeg;jpe"
    # End Group
    # Begin Group "Header Files"

# PROP Default_Filter "h;hpp;hxx;hm;inl;fi;fd"
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\INC\SAMPLEappui.h
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\INC\SAMPLEdocument.h
    # End Source File
    # Begin Source File

SOURCE=\SAMPLE\INC\SAMPLEapp.h
    # End Source File