Discussion Board

Thread: mp4 creation

mp4 creation

Is there any good tools for converting avi/mov/mpg/3gp to mp4?

The Nokia multimedia converter tool is nice but will only convert into 3gp format. Mp4 format is supported by the phones and has much higher image and sound quality.

Anyone?

q:o) Theis

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi,

I don't think there's any tools for that kind of conversion, meaning 3gp to mp4. And about the quality I must disagree with you. There isn't much difference in the quality and you can also wrap MPEG-4 video to 3gp-file format. I also think that most of the phones supporting video will also support 3GPP standards.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

just change extension from 3gp to mp4

it works

Not a good idea in my opinion, because MP4 and 3GP container formats are not the same. For example the AMR speech codec is not allowed in a *.mp4 file, not sure about H.263 video tracks.

Furthermore a *.3gp file does not have a IOD atom, as far as I know, which will confuse many standard-compliant MPEG-4 players.

At least now I know where all these "pseudo MP4" files come from...

By the way, theisborg assumes:

> Mp4 format is supported by the phones and has much higher
    > image and sound quality.

Is this really true for Nokia mobile phones or other manufacturers? As far as I know, there is no support for this container format (with MPEG-4 video and AAC audio track) in multimedia mobile phones yet, or am I wrong?

3gp mp4

I aggree that this is not the best way to do but if you want to get your 60 serie video to play on a sharp gx20 , it does the job perfectly by just changing the extension

What's a Sharp GX20, another mobile phone with MP4 capability?

video

yes , one of the best in term of video quality but limited to 100 k.

Thanks for the info, do you also know a site that lists different mobile phones with real MP4 support? I just searched http://www.mobiledia.com/ for "MP4", but the Sharp GX20 wasn't mentioned there.

not any that i know , even on manufacturer sites , it's difficult to get info about video most of the time .
    Send me a mail at samurai@madtoy.com , I can send you an interesting excel sheet with the different mp4 specs according to
    phones and network