Discussion Board

Super Contributor

6310, Xircom BT Card & Modem - solved(ish)

All,
    I posted a few days ago as I couldn't use my 6310 as a modem with a non-nokia BT PC card.
    I have found a way to make it work, but it is still far from ideal: -

Connect your 6310 to your PC using Infrared, and run the Nokia 6310 modem setup software. You may need to download a patch to get this workign if you use Win 2k... This will allow you to install a 6310 IR modem.
    If you have another Bluetooth modem, you'll have to uninstall it. Next add a modem manually, and don't let your PC detect it. Choose from the list of modems, and Nokia 6310 Bluetooth should now appear in the list. Make sure it is installed on the same COM port that your Bluetooth Dial up service runs on.
    Create a dial-up connection using the 6310 BT modem and connect to your 6310 using BT. The connection should work, and you'll see your 6310 dialling out.

I presume you'll be able to do the same if you have a serial cable to connect your 6310 to your PC, but I haven't tested it.

-----------------------------------------------
    HOWEVER... The reason for going down this route was that many laptops now come without Serial or IR Ports. How are you supposed to install the BT Modem on these....?????
    -----------------------------------------------

Posted by Stephen Barker, stephen.barker@phones4udirect.com
    on February 07, 2002 at 15:41

Super Contributor

RE: 6310, Xircom BT Card & Modem - solved(ish)

Posted by Stephen Barker, stephen.barker@phones4udirect.com
    on February 07, 2002 at 16:32

Solution found...
    Run the modemsetup.exe and it creates temp files. Find the .inf files in these, and make a copy while the program is still running. Create yourself a new directory and paste them there. Cancel the modemsetup prog.
    Add a modem and again choose from list. Click on "Have Disk.." and you should be OK.

Thanks for your help Nokia.... :-(