Discussion Board

How develop Java games on mobile phones?

I have some newbie questions about developing java games on mobile phones. I have already developed in J2SE but never in J2ME.

When you develop a Java game in J2ME on your Desktop PC, how do you install it on your mobile phone ? Exists there any hardware to copy the Java game from PC to mobile phone ?

With some mobile phones you can download Java games with WAP. How can I put my own developed Java game on the WAP ?

Must your create a different version of the Java game for each mobile phone ?

My mobile phone doesn't support Java. If I want to buy a new mobile phone thats support Java, which one should I buy ? Are there mobile phones that are better than others for Java development ?

Regards,
    Eric

Super Contributor
    Some of the answers you can find here.
    The rest don't have a clear cut answer.
    As far as choosing a mobile, I'd say choose something with a wide market (Series 40 devices come to mind), and preferably with infrared or bluetooth (or a cable, though this tends to be more complicated) so you can transfer your application easily to the phone while in the development stage (and you don't have to download it every time, that can cost you a pretty penny). Another thing to consider, is that J2ME has several extensions for things like multimedia, messaging, bluetooth, etc., so if you are interested in developing on any of these fields, make sure you choose a phone that supports the appropiate API.
    A list of the Nokia devices available.

shmoove

I suppose that to use Bluetooth or Infrared, you need a Wi-Fi connection on your PC. I uses a Packard Bell Laptop that doesn't have a Wi-Fi connection. I don't know if I can upgrade my Laptop to Wi-Fi. Does this means that the only way to transfer data from PC to phone is with a cable ?
    Last edited by ericzutter; 2003-11-20 at 19:18.

Regular Contributor
    Blue tooth uses bluetooth.( i think)
    Ird uses an ird port.

I would have though every laptop (more so than desktops) have infra red (IRd).

Check in your bios and it should list it..... i know dell laptops ship with the IRd port disabled but all dells now have IRd.

Regards
    Brian

Regular Contributor
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art...rticle1949.asp

check out this article it was my Fav at the start out stage!

Good luck!