Discussion Board

Hybrid View

3595/3590 not document referenced?

Hi There,

Wondering if you can help.
    We are a ringtones provider and these two model phones are proving problematic for us. I need to make certain that our content is 100% compatible and reading through the 'MIDI and True Tones in Nokia Phones v1.2' document I cannot find any reference to these two models(3595,3590).

Are these models referenced by another model number within this document?
    Do you have specific doumentation for these models?

Any help greatly appreciated, Digs

Hi There,

Wondering if anyone can help me out here.

We already know that the 3595/3590 are 4 channel only.
    We are currently producing ringtones for this unit in 4 channel sp-midi mode and with only 4 channels they work fine.

At the same time we have thousands of ringtones with more than 4 channels, 6, 8, 10 & 12 channels and some of them play on this unit and then some others will not?????

Can someone explain why some 8 channel midi's work on this unit and others built exactly the same way do not? I am talking sp-midi here.

Also, if anyone can qualify which units these refer to in the midi and true tone document that would be a great help as I'm guessing at this stage.

Thanks, Digs

Hey there,

When creating MIDIs for the 3595, I noticed that the phone would reject MIDIs above a certain size. After some testing, I found that the limit was somewhere around 16KB or 16,384 bytes.

That size limit has been a major obstacle. 16KB is really not a lot, especially with more complicated pieces.

Hi NetHead,

Thanks for the tip, will be usefull, however, it appears that is not the reason for my failure here. The tones I am testing with are 14k and less in size.

14k, 8 channel - plays fine
    8k, 8 channel - does not play
    4k, 4 channel - plays fine
    and so on.......

As we have tones with more than 4 channels that will play on this unit, (all though they are only playing 4 channels), the same midi can be used in other units that support more than 4 channels and they all play. I am trying to get to the bottom of this as I wish to avoid re-creating thousands of 4 channel only midi's for this unit!

Thanks, Digs

Heh, the problem you're having just happened to me :/.

Went ahead and looked through the "MIDI and True Tones in Nokia Phones" document again and found something interesting. I believe this is the problem...

Depending on the phone device capabilities, it may happen that the composed song cannot be played back on the target device. Typically this happens if the playback-time memory usage of the MIDI song exceeds the capabilities of the device, and applies to devices other than the Nokia 7650, 3650, and 6600 which are capable of playing back all typical MIDI songs. Of the remaining MIDI enabled Nokia phones, the Nokia 3300 and 6650 have higher memory capabilities than the other devices and the limitations discussed here affect these devices somewhat less than the others.

The playback-time memory usage for the MIDI songs consists of the actual MIDI song data (SMF format), and the instrument data and waveform data of all the instruments used in the MIDI song. Of these components, the instrument waveform data is typically the highest contributor to memory usage. Different types of instruments use different amounts of memory.

Obviously the more instruments used in a song, the higher the total memory usage caused by the instrument waveform data. The composer should experiment to find a set of instruments that will fit the device memory, enabling the song to be played back. Experiments should be performed by trying the song playback on the actual device. Percussive instruments in particular (including cymbals) can consume a lot of memory since these are easy to add by the composer; a smaller selection of drum instruments on the percussion channel might provide satisfactory results. With melodic instruments, a smaller selection of instruments will often suffice. For example, developers should try reducing the different kinds of strings, guitars, and pianos used in the song.