Discussion Board

My App won't install on N-Gage

Hi,

I've written a game for the Series 60. After completing testing on the Series 60 Emulator I wanted to perform final system testing on a Series 60 phone (N-Gage). But for some reason the app simply won't install.

I have performed the following steps :
    1) Created JAR & JAD files using Nokia Devlopment Suite via JBuilder.
    2) Transferred JAR and JAD files to install folder via BlueTooth using PC Suite for Nokia (application comes with N-Gage)
    3) Select option to install app.

During the installion process. I get a "Removing..." message followed by a "Application: System error !".

I've tried other apps such the Sun Samples. Everything fails with the same error. I have checked filenames are short and simple such as 'demos.jar' and MyTest.jar'.

I'm I missing a step in the install process or do I need to change a setting on the N-Gage. Please help before I go completely mad!!!

Cheers,

Raz

N-Gage won't work with MIDP-2.0

OK, after some more digging around I have discovered something. The original app was packaged using MIDP-2.0. If I repackage using MIDP-1.0 instead, the app installs and runs fine. So, at least I can test for the moment.

However, I'm still confused. I was of the understanding that ALL Nokia Series 60 phones where MIDP-2.0 compliant, especially the N-Gage. So, why is it failing??

Any ideas?

Raz

Because Series 60 is MIDP 1.0-compliant unless other is specified

N'Gage itself... well, according to reviews on the web, discussions and tests here - it's nothing more than 3650 with a new cover and some minor changes... at least from the Java developer point of view

Aaahhhhhh!!

I'm obviously suffering from too much work and lack of sleep. I have just rechecked the Nokia Device specification document (orig_matrix_0626.pdf) and your are right as clear as day it does say MIDP 1.0 compliant and not MIDP 2.0.

Does raise the question why MIDP is set to 2.0 by the Nokia SDK when you package an app using the Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.3 Nokia edition emulator. Is this a bug or have I misunderstood what this is meant to be emulating?

Anyway, many thanks for clearing this up for me DoctorDwarf.

Raz

Does raise the question why MIDP is set to 2.0 by the Nokia SDK when you package an app using the Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.3 Nokia edition emulator. Is this a bug or have I misunderstood what this is meant to be emulating?

I can only guess that they don't consider this being a Serious issue and, hense, don't bother to change defaults

Also, probably, in their dreams or ideal ideas Series 60 might become MIDP 2.0 compliant.. soon

How do you repackage?

I've run into the same trouble, and it looks like you guys know how to fix it. How do you repackage an app to be MIDP 1.0?

Thanks
    Sean

I think I got it...

I just changed the xml configuration file to say that it was MIDP 1.0, then rebuilt the app package through the sdk. I reinstalled the thing, and now it runs! hooray.

Is that how repackaging is supposed to work, or am I doing something dangerous?

Regards,
    ..s.

(BTW Dr. Dwarf, love the frame rate tester. Hopefully I can write some useful stuff along those lines once I get this all rolling.)

I simply used the Series 40 emulator profile to package the application which defaults to MIDP 1.0. No need to mess around with xml files.

Raz

aha.

I see... I didn't think of that, because I thought it would somehow goober up developing for a series 60 phone. Trust me to come up with a solution that's more trouble than it needs to be.

Thanks,
    Sean

ok , but ...

ok i've detected to that apss were working by changing midp version in jad file and manifest.mf file, but how to compile it in MIDP 1.0 ?

i can t find where to choose between 1.0 and 2.0 in the package creator

ps: i'm using sun studio with Nokia's devloppers suite 2.0 embbeed

Super Contributor
    MIDP 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0. So as long as you don't use anything that was added in MIDP 2.0 it doesn't matter how you compile.

shmoove