Discussion Board

Traditional Symbian view architecture

Hello,

Has anyone been able to use traditional Symbian view architecture for Series 60 apps? The Nokia guide "Porting UIQ Applications To the Series 60 Platform" recommends using the traditional Symbian view architecture when porting from UIQ. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with softkey menus.

>As the Series 60 Platform view architecture differs significantly >from that used in UIQ, it is probably advisable, when porting >from UIQ, to maintain the traditional Symbian OS
    >architecture. The Series 60 Platform view architecture is >mentioned here to make the
    >developer aware of an alternative solution that is commonly >used in Series 60 Platform applications.

I've added the proper CBA resources to my project resource file and I can get the menu to appear when a softkey is pressed, but immediately after the menu appears, the application crashes deep inside AVKON.DLL.

The Nokia porting document which suggested the traditional method came with two sample projects. MyApp for Series 60 and MyApp for UIQ. According to the documentation, both apps were to use the traditional Symbian view architecture.

>4.2 View Switching
    >In the MyApp application examples, the traditional Symbian OS >view architecture has been
    >used for both platforms.

Unfortunately this is not true! The Series 60 app uses CAknView classes instead.
    Does anyone have an example of using traditional view architecture on series 60? Any tips or help debugging the crash in AVKON when the menu is displayed?

Thank you,
    Joel Shafer

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

Incase you want to use the traditional way, you'll need to use it all the way or not at all. meaning that in case your AppUI still inherits the CAknViewAppUi, then your command buttons wont be shown all times.

So check the classes you are using and try again.

yucca

Hello Symbianyucca,

Indeed the application is using CAknAppUi. The menu displays when pressing the softkey option button, but crashes immediately afterward deep within the the os stack.

I found the problem! It turns out that on the UIQ code the CQIKAppUI was initialized with a call to ConstructL. For CAknAppUI, ConstructL didn't cause a compile error it just failed much later in the application. To fix the problem, I changed the ConstructL to BaseConstructL.

Tough one to find. This should be added to the Porting from UIQ documentation!

Re: Traditional Symbian view architecture

Thanks Joelshaf...
    I've also faced the same problem but I think after three years u faced and solved it the same way u did by following ur suggeestion...
    Ash.