Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compatibility Symbian7.0 vs. 6.1 (Dial example)

Hi,

I wrote an application for making data call on Symbian6.1 (async RCall::Dial function, active objects etc.) and everthing works fine on Nokia 3650 and 7650.
    Now I'm trying to run this application on Nokia6600 but Dial function return KErrArgument error!
    What could be the problem?

Generally, should all application written and compiled on SDK6.1 work correctly on 7.0 as well?

Maybe this is trivial question but I did not find any document about compatibility and possible problems between those two Symbian versions.

Thanks,
    HSagovac

Super Contributor
    Frankly, we had some problems in making a data call on Nokia Series 60 7650/3650 phones. We have documented it as a known issue. The problem has been reported and documented in one of Nokia documents. The document can be found in our Forum Nokia website in the document section.

It is interesting to me that you have made it working in your 7650/3650 phones. Could you please share your code with us to see how it works? Do you use AT commands, or just use those telephone APIs?

In fact, you can try 3rdPartyTelephony API "CTelephony" to establish a data call on Series 60 2.0 platform (which is used by 6600). You may find more information in the SDK help.

Liuxg
    Forum Nokia

data connectoin

hi hsagovac,

i'm currently also working on a data-connection. i had a look at the dialer example. but i couldn't figure out how to send data after having established a connection with RLine & RCall.

could you give me a hint?

tnx in advance, geri-m

Hi liuxg,

I took a look at the documet containing known issues and there is a little difference between mentioned problem and my case. Actually particular "known issue" is related to the Answer Data Call problem which I do not face because (as I wrote) I'm dealing exclusevly with Dialling part (means call originate) which is most likely not a problem. Am I right?
    Anyhow remains the problem of binary compatibility.
    Simply speaking the application which works fine on 7650/3650 does not work on 6600.
    (BTW, I'm just trying to install new SDK2.0 in order to use new Etel function)

HSagovac

geri-m,

please contact me by email for any hints (describing your problem and needs). I'll do my best to help you (or anybody else interested in this issue).

Thanks,
    HSagovac

CTelephony class construction problem

Hi liuxg,

According to the instruction found in SDK2.0 help (Third Party Telephony) and attached example I wrote a test application for making outgoing data call.
    I faced the problem at the point of construction:

void CClientApp::ConstructL()
    {
    iTelephony = CTelephony::NewL();
    CActiveScheduler::Add(this);
    }

The result is that application closes immediately after it has been started.

Any help?

HSagovac

CTelephony Class - Etel3rdParty.dll

Hi. I'm trying to do the same but using UIQ P800, I obtain the same result when trying to use CTelephony class, the application fails when you launch it. I've found that Etel3rdParty.dll need to use this class is not present in P800 (and deduce nor in 6600). But it is in SDK, so the program compile correctly. Anyone know why is happening that, and how to solve it??

Thanks,

Luisfer.

So, Forum Nokia Experts, what we should do to use Etel3rdParty classes?

Regular Contributor
    Hello,

There are really problems with data calls in both Series 60 0.9/1.x and Series 2.0. As stated in the Known Issues document, answering a data call doesn't work in the Series 60 0.9/1.x. In the Series 60 2.0, the problem is a little bit different, since establishing a data call doesn't work. We have also notified that etel3rdparty library is missing on the 6600 device. We are working with all of these issues.

There is a document about compatibility issues available:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,65....html#series60

ETel is one of issues mentioned in the document. However, in addition to problems described above, I haven't encountered any problems with ETel Core API. So I assume our R&D guys have managed to fix some problems after the document was published.

Best Regards,
    Marko / Forum Nokia
    Last edited by maokkone; 2003-12-08 at 09:19.

Dear Marko / Forum Nokia /,

I must say that I'm little bit confused now.
    Practically speaking, after the solution is found we will need to perform SW upgrade on all our Nokia6600 in order to make them support ETel3rdParty API. Am I right?
    Technically it could be a problem for us and our clients. Is Nokia's authorised service center in our country supposed to do this free of charge?
    Generally when do you think the solution could be found and what it takes?

HSagovac

Regular Contributor
    Yes, in order to make your application working I can't see any other way, but upgrading the software. It is hard to say when there is a SW upgrade available correcting the problem. Contact your local dealer/service center if you are able to the upgrade free of charge.

Best Regards,
    Marko / Forum Nokia

Dear Marko /Forum Nokia/

during last few days I have been trying to put in order my old code (which works fine on 6.1) to work on Nokia6600 as well (as I described in my first post).
    Shortly, this code uses standard etel functions and objects(RPhone, RLine, RCall etc.).
    So if I use:
    gsmphone.GetLineInfo(KLineNum, lineinfo);

where KLineNum = 0

then Dial works fine on Nokia6600 (voice call).

However, I need this constant to be: KLineNum = 2
    in order to use data line.
    ONLY in that case calling Dial function returns KErrArgument (-6).

Of course it never happens on Nokia3650/7650.

I can understand that new Etel3rdParty.dll is missing on 6600 but standard etel is present AND it seems not work properly.

Do you have any solution?
    Is this behavior made intentionally?
    Can you confirm me the real situation?

(I'm using phonetsy.tsy module. Should I use some other one on Nokia6600?)

Thanks,
    HSagovac

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

There is really a problem with calling a data call in 6600 and the problem is under investigations in our R&D. Currently we are not aware of any work-a-rounds.

Best Regards,
    Marko / Forum Nokia

Any news?

Dear Marko / Forum Nokia,

any news about data call issue on 6600 and possible solution (meaning new SW etc.)?

Thanks,
    HSagovac

Hello!

Dear Marko / Forum Nokia,

please give me some hints about possible solution.
    All of our users want to have 6600 working with data call.
    It is very important for us, as developers, to know when the solution could be obtained.

Thanks,
    HSagovac